The Jesus Lizard bass sound

Just get a decent tube bass head, turn it up until there is natural break-up, and use DR strings. I have found that natural tube amp distortion for bass is the most solid in terms of holding bottom without excessive mud. I say this after owning almost every bass distortion pedal found on the open market today, and it never hurt working at a guitar shop where I could "borrow" them. Also, Simms sound did change over the years. On a related note, I really think EV speakers are the best sounding for bass.

that damned fly wrote:
gnangle wrote:that damned fly-You gonna back that one up?

after my current band records i'll post a link. you can feel free to go rip on my old band, though.

I didnt mean for you to whip out your musical penis' insecurity complex for a measuring contest, what i meant was the obvious fallacy in believing that one band is better or worse than another.
Some witty and esoteric latin quote like everyone else has.

jermwelfare wrote:Just get a decent tube bass head, turn it up until there is natural break-up, and use DR strings. I have found that natural tube amp distortion for bass is the most solid in terms of holding bottom without excessive mud. I say this after owning almost every bass distortion pedal found on the open market today, and it never hurt working at a guitar shop where I could "borrow" them. Also, Sims sound did change over the years. On a related note, I really think EV speakers are the best sounding for bass.

amp distortion generally is better than pedal distortion. using a pedal to make the amp distort is another matter.

agreed, sims tone kind of went all over the place. from rapeman to "blue" it was everywhere within one corner of the spectrum.

so from now on, if anyone wants a sims tone, you have to be album specific.

rapeman, pure, head, goat, and liar: traynor ts-50b. (sometimes a rat pedal. "killer mchann" has it.)

down, shot, blue: GK 800RB, sometimes a rat pedal, (that one part of "now then.")
buy my guitar. now with pictures!

I always liked David Wm Sims set-up and emulated it somewhat over the years.

I play a Fender P-Bass through a Mesa Boogie 2x15 powered by an 800RB and have for years. I use a Rat pedal as a poor man's EQ. I run it 9 o'clock (distortion), 12 o'clock(tone), 5 o'clock(volume) left to right. This gives me the dirt that I want without a lot of distortion. Rats sap the low-end out, so I decided to add another 800RB and an Ampeg 8x10 for a clean channel. Blending these two rigs together has produced a sound that I can hear and now feel. I can hear the bass cut through the guitar.

After I added the other rig, the guitar player in my band added another 100w head and 4x10 cab because he couldn't hear himself properly.