Serious Thread: Tell us something cool and true about you

benadrian wrote:
I hiked to the top of Long's Peak in Colorado, a +14,000 altitude.

I have done Grays & Torreys, Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross. And one more, Elbert I guess. I grew up in Colorado so I really should have done more. Oh and we drove up Mt. Evans a couple of times.

This summer I did four days on the Inca Trail, which was awesome, my first overnight hike since summer camp. And Machu Picchu was absolutely amazing. The highest point, Dead Women's Pass, is only around 12,800.
http://www.sickroomrecords.com/bikethedog
http://www.sickroomrecords.com

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:I once rode on top of a bus for nine hours, the first few of which were crawling along guardrail-less dirt roads from a height of 17,500 feet, down out of the Himalayas from Lamayuru, the oldest monastery in Ladakh. If you had the balls to peek down those mountain passes, you could see the burned out husks of vehicles that had plummeted over the side. I didn't look often.

Indiana, is that you?
Michael Gregory Bridavsky

Russian Recording
Push-Pull

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:If you had the balls to peek down those mountain passes, you could see the burned out husks of vehicles that had plummeted over the side. I didn't look often.

Buses are fantastic for travelling through new countries. Cheap, you get to see the land, and you'll often get a cool story.

Someone I met in South America was on bus in the Andes (Bolivian, I think), when they brushed a car whilst on a high pass. The car went over the edge. The bus driver got out, looked over the edge, then legged it. Then the bus emptied, and the locals all started walking on down the road. My acquaintance, somewhat panicked, look around, and found that the only remaining passenger was a similarly gobsmacked European.

(My own bus stories are sadly nowhere near so cool, but they were great regardless.)