Serious Thread: Tell us something cool and true about you

Actually, after the spiel about my English grandfather that I linked, there's something else that my father told me six months or so ago. During and possibly before the Second World War, my grandfather helped smuggle European Jews into Britain and was jailed for this. I think that he had an affair or marriage with a German Jew, then left her for my grandmother; I think that she committed suicide. I say "think", because my mother told me this last part from hearing from my father, and I have never had the guts whenever I've remembered this dark tale to ask him further.

I was astonished that I had not been told this before. My father is sketchy on further details, as he only found it out 20 years ago when my grandfather died and left his autobiography. Unfortunately, my dad had only time to read these parts once, because my grandmother hid or destroyed the manuscript after my father read it; she was not happy with my father learning the darker, less flattering parts. Following a bad argument, we've been estranged from my grandmother for 12 years and I fear that I will never see this book.

I would like to know more about my paternal grandfather. I remember him being a fascinating, mischievous and mentally energetic man. My mother tells me that he used to always have three books on the go; one for commuting to and from work, one for reading at lunchtime, and one for the evening. My memories of speaking to him are poor, but three things immediately come to mind:

1. A story he told me about him and his elder brother joyriding a hot air balloon. Even at the age of eight, I could tell that he was telling a yarn.

2. That the Big Bang theory is wrong, because energy cannot be created or destroyed; I am amazed that I remember him talking about Fred Hoyle and his Steady State Theory, despite my knowing little of astrophysics at that age.

3. That every human life is priceless. This I remember him saying very slowly and carefully to me.

That's him at the front, my mother and both my grandmothers behind him:

Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

As a kid, maybe 9 years old, I gave Prince Charles a dose of the verbals.

It was a poster presentation by various schools (mine being one)..."ecology and your community", or something. So anyway, Windsor Jr comes around with his entourage asking questions about each school's poster, before moving on to the next. He sees my name badge with my school on it, and makes some glib frothy comment about the town I come from. "Blah blah blah"...the assembled press entourage laugh politely, everyone smiles and gets on with the 'opportunity'. Y'know the kind of thing? Right. Well, I obviously hadn't quite grasped how this kind of situation is meant to pan out, and basically misconstrue his inane attempt at 'connecting'. I respond with what was very nearly a full-on retard-style "Duuurrrhhh! Joey Deacon!" (minus the hand/chin slapping that is mandatory nowadays). For a few seconds, his hangers-on looked more than a little perturbed, and then, give him his credit, HRH cracked a little smile, shook his head, and broke the awkward slience by asking me about the poster.

Later, one of his lackeys told my teacher that (I quote), "I'd made quite an impression on him".

So there you have it. If you want to get down with royalty, give them some lip whilst making like a mongoloid.

Former Army MEDEVAC helicopter pilot that got the MS, hence grounded.

I won an elementary school talent show using my father's magic equipment in sixth grade. They let me perform the act in front of my future junior high school at an assembly. I messed up each of the 6 magic tricks then started crying in front of the entire school. The next year I was beaten mercilessly.

My dad had a magic show on Toledo cable with Bill Bixby. He also did magic with Alice Cooper but was unaware that he was a rock star.
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental