Building a stompbox

omaroski wrote:For electronic i've always find the 60/40 to be the suggested one. It means alloy 60% Sn - 40% Pb

I'm not sure how things are in the rest of Europe, but lead solder is banned in the UK according to ROHS and I think the same applies to the US. It's a shame because it's much better than non-lead solder. Fortunately I still have a supply of it.

Super-easy beginners effects pedal is the Fuzz face. It only has a few parts.

Buy a breadboard if you are scared of soldering first. Then you can experiemnt.

Building a stompbox

I see lead solder around new york. 99 cent stores in the hardware department are a good place to look. As well you can get inexpensive multimeters with non digital meters there as well. They have soldering irons but although they work I would invest in a slightly nicer one that has a stand. Otherwise they roll around and are dangerious.

I also have a battery powered weller which I like but as you would expect it goes through batteries pretty quickly.

Building a stompbox

Rodabod wrote:
omaroski wrote:For electronic i've always find the 60/40 to be the suggested one. It means alloy 60% Sn - 40% Pb

I'm not sure how things are in the rest of Europe, but lead solder is banned in the UK according to ROHS and I think the same applies to the US. It's a shame because it's much better than non-lead solder. Fortunately I still have a supply of it.

Super-easy beginners effects pedal is the Fuzz face. It only has a few parts.

Buy a breadboard if you are scared of soldering first. Then you can experiemnt.

Hey Roddy!

ROHS applies in Italy too.

Building a stompbox

Yep, Lead is everywhere. I bought a spool of 60/40 Tin/Lead just the other day.

I also stand by the Heat and Flick method.

The only thing I can add is buy a temperature controlled Iron.

Many components (Integrated circuits for example) can be destroyed by over heating while trying to remove shitty solder jobs.

600 degrees is plenty to melt 60/40.

Building a stompbox

japmn wrote:Yep, Lead is everywhere. I bought a spool of 60/40 Tin/Lead just the other day.

I also stand by the Heat and Flick method.

The only thing I can add is buy a temperature controlled Iron.

Many components (Integrated circuits for example) can be destroyed by over heating while trying to remove shitty solder jobs.

600 degrees is plenty to melt 60/40.

I wholeheartedly second the advice about a regulated Iron. I use a Weller WESD-51. Most unregulated irons have a tip temperature of 800 degrees or more, which is easily enough to lift traces on PCB's. I usually work around 650-700 degrees.

Building a stompbox

As an almost unintentional "boutique" pedal builder/buisiness owner, and totally intentional work-from-home-dad I will list advices:

1. Get rid of any kids in the room. They want to help, but they are bad at it.

2. Take a fucking break. I cant tell you how many times I had a deadline breathing down my neck, and a fucking pedal that wouldn't work at 2 AM. I've looked it over, a dozen times, tested it, swapped components, thrown headphones, smoked and swore, only to find a simple solution around noon the next day.

3. Buy some cheap headphones for throwing.

4. Start with a GREAT BIG enclosure. Working inside those aluminum motherfuckers is beyond a pain. After you get a pedal or 3 built, then worry about shrinking shit down.

5. Do not use stripboard. Or at least stripboard from Futurlec. If I sent my 4 booster circuits i did on stripboard to the very lord of analogue electronics, he would say "hmm,, this should work" and I would say,"yeah I know, but it doesn't!" and he would say "Oh, I see. Fucking stripboard, man, fuck that shit."

6. Yeah, start with a kit. I also read some instructional things over and over and over until I had them memorized, made things easier. Keep a copy by the toilet.

7. Spend the money on good components!

you can look at my little empire of noise here http://myspace.com/dwarfcraftdevices