Your Music Pet Peeves

WoundedFoot wrote:Tool fans.

Oooooh man. This literally made me shudder.

I always thought 'your band sucks' on the something awful website was sort of brilliant, and the piece about Tool really hit the spot. It is aptly called "Tool and the Worst Songs of All Time"

Where’s the appeal of being a Tool fan? Is it the scavenger hunt for all the Bill Hicks references? Is it the fact that Tool is almost prog-rock, but it’s about 3% less nerdy than liking Rush? Perhaps it’s the desire to be part of the most widely-hated club of music dorks this side of Insane Clown Posse fans (even Tool hates Tool fans: “Ticks and Leeches” and “Hooker with a Penis” come to mind). The amount of zealotry surrounding Tool is legendary. Many of the people who requested that I discuss Tool actually went so far as to imply that there was absolutely nothing bad to be said about Tool. Obviously, this could not be farther from the truth.
Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Your Music Pet Peeves

Ace wrote:
WoundedFoot wrote:Tool fans.

Oooooh man. This literally made me shudder.

I always thought 'your band sucks' on the something awful website was sort of brilliant, and the piece about Tool really hit the spot. It is aptly called "Tool and the Worst Songs of All Time"

Where’s the appeal of being a Tool fan? Is it the scavenger hunt for all the Bill Hicks references? Is it the fact that Tool is almost prog-rock, but it’s about 3% less nerdy than liking Rush? Perhaps it’s the desire to be part of the most widely-hated club of music dorks this side of Insane Clown Posse fans (even Tool hates Tool fans: “Ticks and Leeches” and “Hooker with a Penis” come to mind). The amount of zealotry surrounding Tool is legendary. Many of the people who requested that I discuss Tool actually went so far as to imply that there was absolutely nothing bad to be said about Tool. Obviously, this could not be farther from the truth.

I feel no shame in liking Tool. Sometimes it's confusing though, I keep looking for these overzealous Tool fans in real life, but I haven't found them. Maybe it's a younger generation thing.

If they are real, getting over band worship is a step in the right direction. If only someone told the Grateful Dead fans that.
Marsupialized wrote:I want a piano made out of jello.
It's the only way I'll be able to achieve the sound I hear in my head.

Your Music Pet Peeves

Marsupialized wrote:
Janeway wrote:When you first meet someone and they want to know what kind of music you listen to..

I say Christian Rap, they go away. NOBODY wants to hear or talk about Christian rap. Ever. They want to get as far away from anyone who does as fast as possible.

Gregorian chant has the same result

Your Music Pet Peeves

Janeway wrote:
that damned fly wrote:
Janeway wrote:i say that i don't like music
i used to say that. ask around.

why did you stop?
because i like the noise that i make, and there is music that i like, just not a lot of it. before i was just flat out hating music i had said, "i should tell people i hate music since that's closer to the truth."

then i started saying i hate music. then tommydski posted a replacements youtube clip in response. then i stopped saying it.
buy my guitar. now with pictures!