Probably a dumb question 16 track 1" tape to 8 track

Hello, tape machine wise men, here's a question. I want some 1" tape to record on a Brenell mini 8. There's a possibility that I could lay my hands on some second hand 1" tape that was used to record on a 16 track 1" machine (old sessions by my old band). The stuff that's on there could be archived to 1/4" and I could then theoretically use this to record some stuff on the brenell (if I erase it). NOW will the fact that it's been used to record on a 16 track have any detrimental affect on it's use on the 8 track? Like will their be twice as much chance of noise being left on any one track? If this is an idiotic question then I'm very sorry.. (also eliya the machine will be back in the studio here in a few weeks and I'll take the pic's/ measurements you wanted no problems)

i'm not so experienced but in my opinion i guess it depends on how strong the erase head on the Brenell could erase in comparison to how strong is the magnetic field printed on the tape recorded on the 16 track machine.

For what pertains track width i think it's not a problem because your heads are the double of each track of the 16 tr recorder. So they would entirely cover the tracks previously recorded . I guess also head adjustments (azimuth, height?) play a role here.

Then there are always bulk eraser to do the job, i never used one but: http://reeltoreelworld.blogspot.com/2008/07/des-bulk-tape-eraser.html

I just replied to a different question on another forum, but anyway.

How would you be archiving the 16 track onto 1/4"? You mean just do a mix of it to stereo? As far as recording over the tape on the 8 track it shouldn't be a problem. If you're concerned you could always run the tape through on erase a few times before you use it, but obviously it would be better to buy new tape (see that other post) and keep your masters anyway.
Don't shun it. Fun it.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the mixes we have of the stuff from the 16 track. We released one tune properly and did a CDr release of all four.. I'd just like some sort of "proper" copy of the stereo master (our current copy is just a CDr) So I'd get that transferred to two track and then use the tape rather than buy new? Am i penny pinching too much? I will look at the collective post TA!