London

Crap
Total votes: 6 (21%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 22 (79%)
Total votes: 28

City: London

B_M_L wrote:I love London.

This morning I walked over Clapham Common. It is a fantastic, open green space surrounded by beautiful mature trees, the sun was shining, and people were out running and cycling and bustling off to work. The brilliant thing is that this part of London isn’t even considered to be that nice – it wasn’t even mentioned in a recent guide to outdoor London.

Ah, yes.... Cla'am! I have strolled the lovely streets of The Nappy Valley watching the gym-taut new mums perambulate their progeny. Not bad. Nor is that French Café.

But fuck me, London is expensive, holy shit, I am glad someone else was paying per deums.

London, like any city, is massive and baffling to the newcomer. Seeking a pocket of culture in a bar where the Most Brilliant Band ever plays on Wednesday night at 12:30am and then the band from Making of the Band plays the next night is like chasing the Will o' the Wisp.

Also, a peculiar trait of Londoners is to very specifically and in a very detailed way, vilify parts of the experience of living there. I was sort of awed and thrilled by the incredible variety of food, junk, crazy clothing, books, dvds, etc, for sale in Camden. I mentioned this to Keith, our tour manager and he said "Oh, CAM-den... how I absolutely LOATHE that shit hole. FUCK, how awful a place... Did you buy any fake marijuana while you were there?"

Driving through South London? Same thing.

Odd trait, that.

Find someone who is on fire for the city. These people exist, and ask them where to go. My friends from Brighton were my cipher for the city. I rather liked Camden Market, parts of SoHo.... I wandered the bookstores near Portobello Road for a whole day. I found decent cafés and learned to have favorite pub foods.

I loved London as much as anyone like me can love a city.
Redline wrote:Not Crap. The sound of death? The sound of FUN! ScrrreeEEEEEEE

several friends of mine decided to move to London because of its opportunities.
they all tell me the same thing:
being friends with londoneers it's hard. in London you can become friends with people from Korea, Bangladesh, Usa, Japan et al.
but being friends with londoneers, getting past the simple aquaintance stage, even after years spent living there, is hard.

that doesn't give a good impression of Londoneers, you know?

i have been to London many times and really love the city, but in the last ten years it's become impossible to be there for more than 5 days without blowing 1000 fucking euro!

London: not crap.
Londoneers: a bit crap at times.
the cost of living in London: as crap as can be.

There are London folks on this board that put paid to some of the less flattering judgements posted here. They are, in local parlance, 'diamond geezers'. I have had no trouble befriending Londoners.

dontfeartheringo wrote:Also, a peculiar trait of Londoners is to very specifically and in a very detailed way, vilify parts of the experience of living there.

Is funny because it's true!

Also, fuck Camden.
Last edited by Rimbaud III_Archive on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stockhausen!

houseboat wrote:I'm moving to London pretty soon.

Hoo boy, am I nervous. I've never lived in a big city.

Actually Houseboat the city has recently passed a new by-law. There is a restriction on new residents - we have too many people. The only exemption is drummers. If you play the drum set you are welcome. You play don't you?