Suicide?

crap
Total votes: 36 (52%)
not crap
Total votes: 33 (48%)
Total votes: 69

Act: Suicide

miseryandthesun wrote:One of my best friends shot himself in the neck in January.

i'm truly sorry to hear that.

but for what it's worth, don't consider yourself "stupid" in the slightest for reacting the way you did. i don't believe there's any such thing as a "correct" response to something like this. you're a human being, and he was close to you, so it's perfectly understandable that something like this might undermine a measly semester of schooling. please, miseryandthesun, cut yourself some slack. and stay strong.

best,

Dave

steve wrote:
matthew wrote:
steve wrote:f****** with them in this manner seems wrong.

Why does it "seem" wrong?

Why does a kitten "seem" cute? It does.

Neil Peart wrote:Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones

some people, for whatever reason(s), can't quite get over the question of whether life is really worth living. it becomes a pathological mode of existence, constantly weighing, often against one's will, whether all this is worth it.

suicide: not crap -- infinite waffles.

A situation that one person, because of his or her genetic makeup, past experiences, perspective, thought tendencies, environment, reasoning, loved ones, job, self image, goals and desires, may be able to live with may be, for another person who has been influenced by life in a completely different way, even in only one of the many aspects of life, completely devastating. Processing the speculated reasons for someone's suicide through your reasoning system, influenced by your experience with life, and coming to the conclusion that they did not have enough information or experience necessary to make that choice is obtuse reasoning.

Heliotropic wrote:A situation that one person, because of his or her genetic makeup, past experiences, perspective, thought tendencies, environment, reasoning, loved ones, job, self image, goals and desires, may be able to live with may be, for another person who has been influenced by life in a completely different way, even in only one of the many aspects of life, completely devastating. Processing the speculated reasons for someone's suicide through your reasoning system, influenced by your experience with life, and coming to the conclusion that they did not have enough information or experience necessary to make that choice is obtuse reasoning.

I don't know what made you dig up this thread but

Processing the speculated reasons for someone's suicide through your reasoning system, influenced by your experience with life, and coming to the conclusion that they did not have enough information or experience necessary to make that choice is obtuse reasoning.

is a good point
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:As long as elites are in the minority, minorities will stay in the majority of the poor.

I cannot really add to some of the excellent arguments here. Life can sometimes feel unbearable, so I sympathise with those who end it; and I think that the effect on those close is terrible. I cannot vote either way.

But I am about to read this book by Jean Améry, a quite incredible and heroic guy. His own suicide was pretty ethical and rational, from the little I currently know.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!