Canned Heat

crap
Total votes: 1 (9%)
not crap
Total votes: 10 (91%)
Total votes: 11

Band: Canned Heat

Cranius wrote:
cjh wrote:I LOVE 'Going up the Country'. For such a bear of a man Bob Hite has such a sweet little voice.

I have a feeling that it's actually slim Alan Wilson that sings this song.

...at least, as far as I can remember.

Not-so-fat, somewhat Ozzy-lookin guy with terrible teeth, that's who sang that song. After watching the teevee infomercial for "Flower Power", the Time Life multi-disc retrospect of the hippie era, about thirty times, I had to bump this thread. Is this band any good aside from the one song? That song is too damn good, but I have a pessimism in me that tells me I might be let down if I check out their other stuff. Is it good? Are all their songs as silly and fun feeling as this kermit the frog sounding flute boogie thing? No, right?
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

Redline wrote:The double lp Hooker And Heat is killer too, featuring John Lee Hooker playing on the real for one whole side w/out any other musicians.

Hooker 'N' Heat! I like this album. I like Canned Heat. Kind of like The Greatful Dead if The Greatful Dead weren't lame.

Alan Wilson, there's an interesting cat. I wish he hadn't killed himself.

Tree wrote:
Redline wrote:The double lp Hooker And Heat is killer too, featuring John Lee Hooker playing on the real for one whole side w/out any other musicians.

Hooker 'N' Heat! I like this album. I like Canned Heat. Kind of like The Greatful Dead if The Greatful Dead weren't lame.

Alan Wilson, there's an interesting cat. I wish he hadn't killed himself.

I have to say that I don't know any Canned Heat save for the Hooker n' Heat double album. That album, however, is great.
"Allright! ALAN! You feeel good!"
It's fucking magic, dude.

On the double album Hooker 'N' Heat (1970), John Lee Hooker is heard wondering how Wilson is capable of following Hooker's guitar playing so well. Hooker was known to be a difficult performer to accompany, partly because of his disregard of song form. Yet Wilson seemed to have no trouble at all following him on this album. Hooker concludes that "you [Wilson] musta been listenin' to my records all your life".