Philip K. Dick: CRAP/NOT CRAP

CRAP
Total votes: 1 (2%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 47 (98%)
Total votes: 48

Author: Philip K. Dick

Mark Van Deel wrote:
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:Too bad he was a speed freak and a Christian, although those things go hand-in-hand.

Dick is just about the only modern Christian whose beliefs I could actually respect. The guy had a bunch of crazy experiences that he couldn't explain outside of a religious framework. The best fit he could find for what he'd been through was a long dead heretical form of Christianity. He built his own cosmology out of this, tore it apart, built it again, and on and on. And he never stop considering, as an alternative explanation, that he was just plain nuts - in VALIS he deconstructs the psychological motivation for his beliefs, and parodies himself as a delusional crank. It's savage, and it's hilarious.

the feeling i get from his books is that he wasn't a Christian who happened to write genius novels, rather a genius writer who happened to be Christian.
theology and god are only one part of his recurring themes. and those aren't even treated assertively. the man was king of doubt.

and, come on, he didn't fit your average Christian description, did he?

Author: Philip K. Dick

Why has no-one made a dick joke? Like:

I was a big fan of dick in my youth.

I can't get enough of dick.

I always had my head in a dick book.

I used to love thumbing my dick collection.

Dick, my favourite.

Dick - the future.

Used to like his books too. More of a Vonnegut fan, but some awesome reads. And innuendo. Why didn't he change his name? Surely he saw this coming?
dude, where's my life?