Rhys Chatham + Manuel G ¶ttsching in NYC, August 15th

Just wanted to add my voice the chorus of condolences to everyone involved. I felt bad for the guy who announced that it wasn't going to happen. It seemed like he expected a chorus of boos, but the audience seemed mostly cool about it. Could it have really worked in a church? It seems like in an acoustic environment like that everything would be bouncing off everything else, and any subtlety would be lost.

I'm curious, though--didn't the ads for the show say "rain or shine"? Obviously, there was no way this could have been done in the rain. 200 guitarists being electrocuted would be a quite show, I admit.

Rhys Chatham + Manuel G ¶ttsching in NYC, August 15th

no, i couldn't have worked in the church - we'd been rehearsing there all week, and it was just too constrictive of a space for that massive of a sound - things were bouncing around - you couldn't hear the various musical cues. outside, it was a totally different story...totally stunning.

one of the fellows next to me was a guy who does live sound for stadium events - and he was saying that they didn't have the right gear for that kind of weather...that there were things they could have gotten which would have protected the power, made it safe for all of us. it's a damn shame - i think almost all of us were willing to risk it just to perform.

david daniel, one of the section leaders performed tonight - and there were a bunch of the guitarists in attendance...we were all commiserating. someone made the excellent point - when the event does happen...there's going to be so much passion involved...it's going to mean so much to all of us.

one of my fellow guitarists had spoken to rhys that day. He was telling rhys that when he woke up that morning, the first thing he said was "dammit, it's a beautiful day" - to which rhys replied "when i got up, the first thing i said was 'hey, i think i forgot to do something last night' ".

-joshua...

gmilner wrote:Just wanted to add my voice the chorus of condolences to everyone involved. I felt bad for the guy who announced that it wasn't going to happen. It seemed like he expected a chorus of boos, but the audience seemed mostly cool about it. Could it have really worked in a church? It seems like in an acoustic environment like that everything would be bouncing off everything else, and any subtlety would be lost.

I'm curious, though--didn't the ads for the show say "rain or shine"? Obviously, there was no way this could have been done in the rain. 200 guitarists being electrocuted would be a quite show, I admit.