Jandek?

Crap
Total votes: 3 (8%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 36 (92%)
Total votes: 39

Artist: Jandek

A friend told me to get into Jandek so I picked his first album up.
I absolutely love the SOUND of the first album. Just because of that, it's impossible to vote Crap.
That said, I don't think I care about the actual songs at all. I wouldn't listen to them again. I'm pretty indifferent to them. I could see how people could really love it, but they just don't touch me.
Are all his albums like this first one? Should I stick with it? Does it "grow" on you?
Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Ace wrote:A friend told me to get into Jandek so I picked his first album up.
I absolutely love the SOUND of the first album. Just because of that, it's impossible to vote Crap.
That said, I don't think I care about the actual songs at all. I wouldn't listen to them again. I'm pretty indifferent to them. I could see how people could really love it, but they just don't touch me.
Are all his albums like this first one? Should I stick with it? Does it "grow" on you?

Well you at least need Blue Corpse, Follow Your Footsteps, and You Walk Alone
spaghetti

My first Jandek record was The Living End, from 1989. It's one of the "good" ones.

Depending on what your musical tastes run to, I'd recommend different Jandek records to try. I think his recent work is among his best. This site has good descriptions of each record, so you can get an idea of what you might like to try next.

I would not get Put My Dream On This Planet, Worthless Recluse, or This Narrow Road because they are all "acapella" and more likely to turn you off (because they are kinda scary)

Try Glasgow Monday, Lost Cause, One Foot In The North, Blue Corpse, The Living End. I also like the Manhattans, a pair of live releases (as is Glasgow).
I make music/I also make pretty pictures

So, I just finished listening to Jandek (_Telegraph Melts_) for the very first time today. His singing seems like the noise someone would make if they were getting a hip replacement surgery done without anaesthesia. Lots of moaning, groaning & yelping. He really seems to be in a lot of pain.

I am a bit confused. I liked the song "European Song", which I had heard a few years ago but did not bother to listen to an entire album until now. Bit confused, I think I require a few more listens.
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:As long as elites are in the minority, minorities will stay in the majority of the poor.