Jello Biafra s speech @ The Last HOPE

Colonel Panic wrote:Listen to Jello Biafra's speech at The Last H.O.P.E. conference last month in New York City.

Pretty good stuff. He spends a lot of time critically examining Obama's voting record. Check it out.

Man, I tried my best to listen to this, but I gave up a few minutes into it. Biafra's understanding of the world appears to be roughly as sophisticated as Bill O'Reilly's. When I got to the unfunny comments regarding the auction of Obama's half-eaten waffle on eBay, I threw in the towel.
My grunge/northwest rock blog

Colonel Panic wrote:So your attention span ran out before you even got into the real substance of the talk. Congratulations.

The five or so minutes I heard were devoid of substance. My patience is not limitless, especially for the political rants of middle-aged singers of long-dead punk bands.

Anyway, I'm just putting it up there. I'm not saying you have to agree with it or anything like that.

That's fine. I suppose I shouldn't be such a hater.
My grunge/northwest rock blog

Colonel, danke for posting that Biafra speech. Listened to it last night. Especially enjoyed his rant about Myspace culture and blogging.

Also listened to the one about privacy in the information age - both parts - and felt alternately terrified and fascinated as he described some of the more insidious new technologies used to gather information on people. (The bit about tiny flying drones that're able to recharge themselves on powerlines with extendable claws was un-fucking-real.) I suppose this is to be expected now but it all seems very strange and grotesque to me still, especially considering how all of this accruing information is primarily used to either (a) put someone in jail, (b) stalk and/or deride someone, or (c) sell him a bunch of specific products. What screwed-up priorities! I don't even wanna know what all of this is leading to. Maybe an Amish uprising is in order.

Anyway, more good lectures would be appreciated. Got piles of work to tend to here when I get back home.