Let's Talk Baseball

vockins wrote:One and a half armed pitchers have done pretty well for the Yankees.[/url]
Jim Abbott had two basehits in his career.

Incredible.

Jim Abbott is a pretty remarkable athlete. He was a great high school baseball player -- but he was a also a state championship-winning quarterback. He was named the the top amateur athlete in America in 1987 while at Michigan, where his teams won two Big Ten championships. He won the gold medal game in the 1988 Olympics. He was the eighth overall pick in the 1988 draft (note: he was drafted out of high school in 1985 as well but he chose to attend college instead). He completely skipped over the minors on his way to the big leagues. He finished fifth in the Rookie of the Year vote in 1989. He finished third in the Cy Young Award voting in 1991. He threw a no-hitter in 1993. He played ten years in Major league Baseball.

I imagine that the guy can perform athletically in any other context outside of professional sports.

And the guy has one arm.

Salut, Jim Abbott!

Let's Talk Baseball

vockins wrote:One and a half armed pitchers have done pretty well for the Yankees.
In 1992, the Angels traded Jim Abbott to the New York Yankees for J.T. Snow, Russ Springer and a cup-of-coffee lefty named Jerry Nielsen. If you judge the deal solely on the inbound 4:1 arms ratio, then the Angels made out like bandits.

Please note that the Angels obtained a twenty-four year old Russ Springer as part of this deal. If they had been really shrewd, then the Angels would have placed a "call" option on Russ Springer and let the Yankees suffer through a dozen-plus years of Springer's salary-drawing mediocrity before claiming him in 2006 (i.e., when everyone knew he would surely emerge as a top-notch and durable situational righty).

Really. You wonder what these GMs are thinking sometimes.

Anticipate, people!

Let's Talk Baseball

vockins wrote:The final out of Game 7 of the 2008 World Series will be a check swing strike three caused by Evan Longoria trying to protect himself from Sabathia's forearm hurtling at him at 97 mph.Prediction: Brian Cashman would offer a five-year, $80M deal to an armless CC Sabathia. Cashman would follow up that deal with a similar offer to Ben Sheets-Pavano-Wright.Speaking of injuries to Brewers pitchers, I still want to kill Reed Johnson for injuring Yovani Gallardo. A headfirst slide. Wtf. Good people of Wisconsin, please start appearing at Miller Park with "KILL REED JOHNSON" signs.Note: Milwaukee, please stop complaining about the blown error call. Instead, please focus your energy, resources and efforts on building a defensible perimeter around every MLB park, and use sets of well-placed troops to prevent Eric Gagné from entering any of these facilities.vockins wrote:That dude is going to be like the cop car in the Blues Brothers.
Fun fact: I have never seen this movie.

Let's Talk Baseball

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Does anyone want to witness another Morneau Massacre or shall I spare Mr. McGarvey?Spare the rod, spoil the clod, is what my granpappy always said.chairman\_hall wrote:The team needs to have a proud history of achievement, but has not won anything significant for decades. It needs a big stadium that draws a great deal of supporters. It also needs to be constantly mired in controversy. The city it represents needs to be fairly industrial, provincial and isolationist.

The Cincinnati Reds.

Also, would anyone or anything have been harmed in the making of an announcement of any sort as to why Sheets was removed so early from yesterday's game? I'm tired of paying a premium for information blackouts.

Let's Talk Baseball

Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:chopjob wrote:Also, would anyone or anything have been harmed in the making of an announcement of any sort as to why Sheets was removed so early from yesterday's game? I'm tired of paying a premium for information blackouts.groinHaving been in attendance, it was a real frustration not to know at the time.Nice to see that Adam Jones was able to return for the end of the season, by the by.Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Speaking of injuries to Brewers pitchers, I still want to kill Reed Johnson for injuring Yovani Gallardo.

Yes and yes. Still awaiting the Spiezio-fication of his goatee.

Let's Talk Baseball

Yeah but they're playing the Jays after they traded away 2 of the worst Twins killers of all time in Frank Thomas and Matt Stairs. And Halladay pitched yesterday.

I was really worried this RNC road trip would have killed the Twins. But as long as they're within 2 GB come Thursday, this division is theirs to lose as long as they handle business at home and continue playing .500 ball on the road.

Let's Talk Baseball

MWilke wrote:vockins, are the Yankees going to try in the middle of September when the White Sox go to the Bronx? The Twins really needs them to.

A-fucking-men.

Thank jebus for the Red Sox (never thought I'd say that) and Indians. Twins have a tough stretch coming up.
You had me at Sex Traction Aunts Getting Vodka-Rogered On Glass Furniture