The Monks

CRAP
Total votes: 1 (3%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 36 (97%)
Total votes: 37

Band: Monks The Monks

Bubber wrote:Apparently they played *last night* at a bar in Bemidji, MN -- kind of the middle of nowhere. They're gearing up for a European tour. I have no idea if they're playing elsewhere in the US, but then again, I haven't looked.http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... /12/monks/Can't believe I didn't catch this the first time around. Bemidji, MN- that's insane. I've only spent healthy chunks of my life there. Although I would take issue with the middle of nowhere- it's one of the bigger cities up nort'. Heck, it's even got BSU. Go Beavers. I found a copy of Silkworm's In The West at the Disc-Go-Round, back in the day. I believe they also had Blueblood there.The Monks are probably one of the best of the garage rock 60s bands that I can think of. You don't really need any album other than Black Monk Time. I love that "Shut Up" and "I Hate You" are titles of songs that were released during this love-infested era.
Tiny Monk site and blog

Every time I hear these guys, the Stooges or the Urinals, they always make me want to pick up a guitar and get (at least a little) serious about starting a band and making my own noisy music. Seriously, every time.I love the Monks. I love their ridiculous story, their instruments of choice, their noose ties, the singers unmatchable yowl, their lyrics that will have you chanting along in no time (Monk Chant especially)... Man, I can't get enough of these guys.Really wanna see the documentary on them too, which should be out on DVD by now if I remember correctly. Seems like it should be.Other than that movie, all I need is the new reissued Black Monk Time LP and maybe a t-shirt of theirs. It could shut me up for awhile, who knows?NOT CRAP!

It's one thing to be in the Army and be in an original, off-base band. It's another thing to be stationed in the aftermath of the single most fucked up thing humans have ever tried to do and to be among people who have to kind of walk around pretending it didn't just happen.All that pressure and darkness comes through loud and clear in the Monks. So, so not crap.-r