Best turntable for $500?

i just bought a new turntable myself. i researched online for about a week before i got something and here's the summary:'round here people are big fans of rega, the p3 in particular (although the p2 is also highly regarded).both of those tables are fairly expensive (if bought new), so if you want to stay under $500 bucks, you basically have three options - the p1, the pro-ject debut III, or the musichall mmf 2.2. further research led me to believe that the musichall is the better of the 3 so that's what i went with.i've had it for about a month now and i love it.

Best turntable for $500?

etch wrote:This guy is a really good seller. Very honest and packs his tt's so that they're bulletproof.I've recommended a few people to him and he has always delivered. With his TT's you get vintage tables that have been restored which is critical unless you know how to do it yourself. The build quality is far superior on these older tables than the under $500 tables that are offered in today's market.The guys name is Dave, I don't know him personally or have any relationship with him but I've referred a couple of people and it always goes well.Thanks a lot! I was going to say in this thread that it's worth just restoring a vintage record player and keeping it for the rest of your life. The modern expensive record players will just make it sound like a CD anyways.

Best turntable for $500?

i have a pro-ject 6. it's really nice, but the guy who sold it to me tried to re-wire it and screwed some stuff up, so i ended up putting an extra $250 into servicing it when i bought it. i originally paid $450 for it. i'm satisfied with it, but sometimes i'm disappointed i didn't spend the same amount of money on a lower-end rega.

Best turntable for $500?

mebbe a used thorens td160?i wouldn't turn your nose up at a 1200... good drivey table with solid 'PRAT' and a lot of ass end for not a hell of a lot of money.. i had a sota sapphire for years, and despite being quiet- it always sounded like it was moving in slow motion.. i was glad to send it away for a thorens 124.. i found my way that direction after hearing a demo of an italian modded 1200, and the 124 BARELY bested it...

Best turntable for $500?

enframed wrote:as far as i last heard from someone who knows, music hall and pro-ject are essentially the same tables made in the same factory in czechoslovakia. music hall is marketed far better than pro-ject. that's the main difference between them.So advertising aside these two tables are pretty much the same?Do you have to manually move the belt under the platter to switch speeds between 33 1/3 to 45 rpm on these?
www.myspace.com/markcyst
www.myspace.com/mc14
www.myspace.com/colossamite

Best turntable for $500?

phildotidiot wrote:i just bought a new turntable myself. i researched online for about a week before i got something and here's the summary:'round here people are big fans of rega, the p3 in particular (although the p2 is also highly regarded).both of those tables are fairly expensive (if bought new), so if you want to stay under $500 bucks, you basically have three options - the p1, the pro-ject debut III, or the musichall mmf 2.2. further research led me to believe that the musichall is the better of the 3 so that's what i went with.i've had it for about a month now and i love it.I have a Music Hall MMF 2.1 and I love it. It's a $300 turntable (at least it was seven years ago when I bought it.)