Jesus Lizard technical info

I still wonder (nick29675 (or whatever the number on his nick is) already asked about it and got no reply) why there was a blanket on the kick drum in Goat.Is it to get less bleed into the kick mic? or less bleed from the kick to the other mics, though that doesn't sound reasonable, it's a kick drum, it cuts through blankets. Or perhaps it was because there's no front head on the bass drum?I always find it hard to record a kick with no front head.

I am doing a listening project for a class and would like to find information how the Jesus Lizard's Goat was recorded. The opening track Then Comes Dudley in particular.Specifically, I would like to find out how many mics were placed on guitar, drums, bass, vocals, where they were placed and what kind of mics they were. I found one picture of David Sims in the studio and its good enough that I can almost identify the microphones on his speaker cabinets. I've also found some other photos of bands in the studio with Mr. Albini who have a recorded sound that is similar to the Jesus Lizard. Although these photos aren't of the Jesus Lizard, I think they may be useful.If anyone has any pertinent knowledge that they don't mind sharing, I would be grateful. Even info not specifically about the Jesus Lizard, but about how Mr. Albini typically records bands that have elements similar to the Jesus Lizard, big drums, harsh guitars, etc, would be appreciated. Photos are helpful also. Thanks very much!

eliya wrote:I still wonder (nick29675 (or whatever the number on his nick is) already asked about it and got no reply) why there was a blanket on the kick drum in Goat.Is it to get less bleed into the kick mic? or less bleed from the kick to the other mics, though that doesn't sound reasonable, it's a kick drum, it cuts through blankets. Or perhaps it was because there's no front head on the bass drum?I always find it hard to record a kick with no front head.Usually done to cut bleed into a kick mic. To much bottom snare bleed into a kick mic can make your snare sound like absolute shit due to phase cancelation. Plus, that bleed resides in the same frequency range as the attack of the kick so it also can leave you stuck with a more dull sounding kick as well.Although they could have had other reasons to do so, doing so in order to keep bleed out of a kick mic seems to be the most common.

vogelscheuche wrote:a. james wrote:vogelscheuche wrote:a 98 taped to his head, huh?very excellent.. not only for a chuckle.. but a pretty great idea-- i dig it..don't forget they stuck his head into a big trash can. for nub.this i didn't know... but makes a lotta sense for.. umm.. 'can ambience' (?)... gettin' the job done by any means necessary at EA..fuck i love recording..There's no EA back then, or perhaps Steve's studio back then was called EA too? and if it were, did they also nicknamed it the PRF?

a. james wrote:vogelscheuche wrote:a 98 taped to his head, huh?very excellent.. not only for a chuckle.. but a pretty great idea-- i dig it..don't forget they stuck his head into a big trash can. for nub.this i didn't know... but makes a lotta sense for.. umm.. 'can ambience' (?)... gettin' the job done by any means necessary at EA..fuck i love recording..