Little tech questions from your day

SecondEdition wrote:[Another question for all of you is: Are the Japanese Jaguars and Jazzmasters really any better than the American ones? I know they're always sold cheaper (something I deeply appreciate), but the sale line often is that the build quality is far superior to the US models or something like that. Do the pickups sound the same? (For the record, if I was to get one of them I'd probably get the Jaguar.)After experiencing many of these Japanese guitars I can say without hesitation that they are of a completely different caliber than their American counterparts. If there is a Japanese version of a guitar I want available, I would purchase it untested over an American one I can audition hands-on.I have 6 Japanese guitars that were purchased imported and every single one has stunned me with it's build-quality, tone and general comfort. It also helps that everyone of them was, at worst, 1/2 the price of it's state-side cousin.As far as the Fender stuff goes, Crafted in Japan is the one to get. For Gibson stuff Orville by Gibson (not just Orville). This is not so hard and fast a rule as I've played plenty of killer MIJ's and Orville's, the CIJ's and ObG's are just more consistent.
Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:In the 1988 season the Orioles lost their first 21 games to set a ML record for most consecutive losses. I decided then to have their logo as my avatar.

Rock-a-lock

pwalshj wrote:SecondEdition wrote:[Another question for all of you is: Are the Japanese Jaguars and Jazzmasters really any better than the American ones? I know they're always sold cheaper (something I deeply appreciate), but the sale line often is that the build quality is "far superior to the US models" or something like that. Do the pickups sound the same? (For the record, if I was to get one of them I'd probably get the Jaguar.)After experiencing many of these Japanese guitars I can say without hesitation that they are of a completely different caliber than their American counterparts. If there is a Japanese version of a guitar I want available, I would purchase it untested over an American one I can audition hands-on.I have 6 Japanese guitars that were purchased imported and every single one has stunned me with it's build-quality, tone and general comfort. It also helps that everyone of them was, at worst, 1/2 the price of it's state-side cousin.As far as the Fender stuff goes, Crafted in Japan is the one to get. For Gibson stuff Orville by Gibson (not just Orville). This is not so hard and fast a rule as I've played plenty of killer MIJ's and Orville's, the CIJ's and ObG's are just more consistent.Thanks for this response. I will definitely keep this in mind. I should probably just give in and sign up for eBay one of these days.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Yesterday, I turned off my computer monitor when I was recording. It's a CRT monitor, hence the turning off.I came to turn on the monitor after I finished playing it goes click and nothing, turn it on again - click and nothing's coming back. I left it as it is and came back today to see if it'll turn on. I clicked the on button and it goes click click click click click and it didn't turn on.Is there any way I can fix it? Maybe I should take advantage of that and upgrade to and wide LCD screen.

Alright so I bought an LCD monitor and it's pretty cool. It has analog and digital input, my card supports both, so I plugged in to the digital since I never done it before.What are the differences between the digital and analog source/outputs? Like, what are the main differences/benefits?Also, this monitor has a little buzz/hum, it's nothing too loud but I don't know if this is supposed to be like that, should I go back and replace it or save my time and use it?

japmn wrote:Last night I was playing through my 63 Epiphone Pathfinder with the reverb on. After a while it started to get a very high pitched feedback loop in the reverb itself. If I turned the knob down, It would gradually fade away. It only stayed gone if I turned off the Reverb with the foot switch.I have run into this reverb feedback in my Quad Reverb once upon a time but it just went away. What causes this... tube? How can I fix it? I cannot record until it is fixed.Usually it's a microphonic reverb driver tube. Replacing the tube will cure it if so.If you turn up the verb and tap on the preamp tubes with a pencil eraser or chopstick or something you can usually find the one that's microphonic.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

japmn wrote:Thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear. I have a few random 12AX7s doing nothing somewhere around the house. I'll pop one in and cross my fingers.The reverb driver on a Super Reverb is a 12AT7 or a 12AU7 as I recall. It may not be a 12AX7 on your Epiphone either. I imagine it will likely work with a 12AX7 if so, but the verb may be slightly distorted. I dont know.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

japmn wrote:endofanera wrote:japmn wrote:Thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear. I have a few random 12AX7s doing nothing somewhere around the house. I'll pop one in and cross my fingers.The reverb driver on a Super Reverb is a 12AT7 or a 12AU7 as I recall. It may not be a 12AX7 on your Epiphone either. I imagine it will likely work with a 12AX7 if so, but the verb may be slightly distorted. I dont know.I have heard they are the same tube (and that the AT7 is just less gainy) and can be substituted with minimal change in sound. Maybe bullshit. I don't really know much about tubes.What about 12AD7's They are said to be "low hum / Non-microphonic" versions of a 12ax7.Has anyone ever used those? They sound like good replacements for reverb tubes.The difference in gain is the only thing Ive noticed from swapping those types of tubes. 12AX7s seem to be highest gain of the ones Ive encountered.Ive never used a 12AD7.
--Mike Watt