Drum hardware recommendations?

Adam I wrote:My advice would be Yamaha. Yamaha would actually be my answer for 75% of 'what should I buy' questions, other than snares.Adam I, I'll pose the same question to you: could you elaborate on this? I've recording a bunch of Yamaha kits, but mostly for jazz, "world," and other non-rock-related genres. They generally sound fantastic in those contexts. How do you use them?

danielruder wrote:dontfeartheringo wrote:Rule #1: boom stands are a waste of money.Could you elaborate on this?wanker:not wanker:Seriously, though: I just hate boom stands. They seem useless to me. I don't have any place I need to put a cymbal where a straight stand doesn't work. You're not one of those drum cage guys, are you? It always seemed to me like playing in a handicapped toilet, those things.I highly recommend the Gibraltar flat base stands...Is there an inherent advantage to flat bases, or do you simply like these particular stands?They're lighter to carry and don't take up too much room under the kit. They're also fairly affordable and have a good reputations for durability.
Redline wrote:Not Crap. The sound of death? The sound of FUN! ScrrreeEEEEEEE

Adam-my opinions on this are largely shaped by the fact that I am a very heavy hitter and having a ride cymbal way out there hanging over the kick usually, in my case, results in the stand giving up the ghost and rolling over, dumping the cymbal on top of the bass drum.Your mileage may vary, of course. Also, my ride cymbals are 22" and 24", depending on which one I am using for a gig. They don't need to be much closer than they are since they're both so large.I should have some sort of special symbol for my posts that manages to convey that all of these answers are delivered with a bit of good-natured (but tongue-in-cheek) bluster. I don't honestly think that NO ONE needs a boom stand... I am speaking from a comic construct that assumes certain absurdities, one of which is that EVERYONE wants to hit the drums as hard as they possibly can and that everyone is a 6' 2" 230lbs guy like me, with orangutan-length arms and "anger issues."There've been other places lately on the forum where people missed the humorous intent of something I said and assumed that I was speaking for everyone.I think it's the fault of me not being a more effective comic writer.

Adam I wrote:dontfeartheringo wrote:Adam-my opinions on this are largely shaped by the fact that I am a very heavy hitter and having a ride cymbal way out there hanging over the kick usually, in my case, results in the stand giving up the ghost and rolling over, dumping the cymbal on top of the bass drum.Your mileage may vary, of course. Also, my ride cymbals are 22" and 24", depending on which one I am using for a gig. They don't need to be much closer than they are since they're both so large.But I use a hugely heavy, vintage ride and am, essentially, a fucking gorilla, yet even with my old, knackered, 70s boom stand I did not once cause a fall/collapse.If using a 4 piece kit, where would you put the ride? I'm genuinely confusicated.There's mine. Straight stand between kick and first floor.

If $300 is your budget, you are going to be buying a kick pedal and high hat stand that may work for now, but you're going to want to replace asap. When it comes to the stands, just try to get HEAVY equipment. If it is heavy it is going to do its job no matter who made it. If the metal is too thin it is going to fall over and it can bend and wear out at joints, especially by overtightening. I had a $40 heavy 70's ludwig stand last 6 years (didn't break, just stopped using it) and a new $125 aluminum Gibraltar stand became inoperative after one year. You should be able to get used cymbal stands for around $40-$50 each at a music store.

dontfeartheringo wrote:I should have some sort of special symbol for my posts that manages to convey that all of these answers are delivered with a bit of good-natured (but tongue-in-cheek) bluster. I don't honestly think that NO ONE needs a boom stand... I am speaking from a comic construct that assumes certain absurdities, one of which is that EVERYONE wants to hit the drums as hard as they possibly can and that everyone is a 6' 2" 230lbs guy like me, with orangutan-length arms and "anger issues."Many, many years ago, a friend and I were planning to do a drum fanzine, which ultimately never got off the ground. We were going to have rules in each issue, one of the rules I made up was:If you need a boom stand to get something where it's convenient to hit, there are too many elements in your drumkit.The only other rule I remember was that a drumkit should always have an even number of toms, with the exception of a kit with only a floor tom. Or possibly that having two rack toms is only acceptable if you also have two floor toms. It was a long time ago... I know we had a ton but that's all I can remember right now.I feel pretty much just like DFTR, although I'm short and slight, and I don't really hit as hard as I used to, I just don't have any use for a boom stand. I am also to use this, how you say, 'big motherfucker' of 22 or 24 inches, and also only the 'medium motherfucker' of 20 inches to make a crash. The boom, she can bring only sadness for 'motherfucker' like these. Edit: That said, here we have a definite not-wanker who uses boom stands with pride, and rightly so:Hardware wise I'll second Tama, especially the Iron Cobra and it's associated Hi Hat stand. Gibraltar is also nice, good stools. Go for double braced if you can.Also: Yamaha kits: Tomi from the ever-brilliant Circle used to use one of the mid-line Yamaha kits, Stage Custom or something. I used his kick (20" I think) and floor tom for a show, they sounded great and seemed solid. I was not playing any kind of jazz or world music at this show.
Don't shun it. Fun it.