Anchovies!

Tasty
Total votes: 8 (62%)
Not Tasty
Total votes: 5 (38%)
Total votes: 13

Fish: Anchovies! Anchovies!

zartoid wrote:...I have never looked at a crustacean and identified it as potential human food. Somewhere back in time, ancient man ate an anchovy for the first time and I imagine it was like "Mmm...what's this many legged crawling thing with next to no meat on it from the bottom of the sea ?", followed by revulsion.Anchovies aren't crustaceans, they're chordates. Perhaps you're thinking of shrimp or prawns.Anchovies are a nice addition in some cases where saltiness and bit of complexity are desired. Try adding like half a can of chopped anchovies to stuffed bell peppers:Stuffed Bell Peppers4 - 6 green peppers1 pound ground beef or pork1/2 cup cooked rice1 1/2 tbsp finely-chopped anchovies 2 cans tomato sauce3 cloves of chopped garlic1 cup chopped onion1/2 tsp basil1/2 tsp oregano1/2 tsp parsley2 cups shredded mozzarella cheeseSalt & pepper to tasteCook the rice in a covered saucepan with 1/2 cup of water. Add garlic and onion to the meat and brown it in a skillet. Add cooked rice and anchovies. Pour in 1 can of tomato sauce and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Add basil, oregano and parsley. Mix well. Add pepper to taste, and salt if needed (though the anchovies should have that covered).Remove stems, seeds and membranes from the peppers. Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture, leaving about 1/4" space at the top. Place peppers in a baking pan. Pour remaining tomato sauce into the peppers, filling them to the top until they overflow. Dump the remainder of sauce into the bottom of the pan. Top the peppers with the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 °F until peppers are just slightly darker, and soft but not wrinkly.

Glad this one resurfaced--just a few tags--cjh wrote:Really love these spiny little fellows..The darker ones preserved in salt or olive oil are an absolute must for a hearty puttanesca sauce now autumn is here. The silvery marinated ones though are where it happens for me, like a bracing tang of the ocean.Pissaladiere!+1cjh wrote:rachael wrote:Doesn't that overpower the olives?No no, you must give it a go and see what you think. It's subtle, just adds a richness although people who are a bit squeamish about them can sometimes taste them. I like the sauce quite astringent and gladly up the caper and olive content from most recipes I've seen. I usually add 2-3 chopped small fillets right at the beginning along with the garlic and they just dissolve. Much goodness!rachael wrote:cjh wrote:rachael wrote:Actually this sounds fantastic, and I will try it. I tend to double the olive & caper called for in most recipies too, and I like to use greek black olives, kalamata and green. So gooooood. Of course the olive pitting can get to be a bit of a pain, but it's worth it.Trader Joes has pitted oil cured blacks from Morocco and pitted Kalamatas--really good, less briny.Quality matters with these buggers. The ones in glass jars are awesome--use whole in things like salads Nicoise & Greek. Use the canned ones to mash into cooked dishes

EmpireStateTroopers on their own or in stuff: dee-lish. don't gimme that 'the little bones prick your tongue' crap. they're as soft as baby hairs.Here's what you do:Heat up some butter and olive oil in a pan, add some minced garlic, then add an entire tin of anchovies. as it all cooks the anchovies will just melt away into a paste. Add bread crumbs to soak up the whole mess. throw in some cooked fresh pasta (I like using that hand cut wide stuff that looks like shredded rags), splash on some good olive oil and toss everything untill the pasta is coated with the fishy stuff. amazing.NC+1 (maybe a little parsley too)Agreed, but not before a party where you'll be meeting new people you might want to acquaint or impress===best to consume it within small groups of friends where EVERYONE eats it together. Watch out for cats as well!!

There are enough references to anchovies in children's TV that my son wanted them on his pizza a couple of weeks ago. We told him what they were, what the texture would be like, and that they would be kind of oily and tart. He insisted. My wife was kind enough to refuse to have the camera ready. He didn't care for them. At all.

on their own or in stuff: dee-lish. don't gimme that 'the little bones prick your tongue' crap. they're as soft as baby hairs.Here's what you do:Heat up some butter and olive oil in a pan, add some minced garlic, then add an entire tin of anchovies. as it all cooks the anchovies will just melt away into a paste. Add bread crumbs to soak up the whole mess. throw in some cooked fresh pasta (I like using that hand cut wide stuff that looks like shredded rags), splash on some good olive oil and toss everything untill the pasta is coated with the fishy stuff. amazing.NC

Ugh and eww. As a student I worked in the kitchen of one of Pizza Express' posher restaurants, listed building, art & jazz e.t.c. The work was pretty easy, mainly just loading the washer but eventually the whole night pivoted around the moment the anchovy bowl would be sent down from the top kitchen. I developed some routine with rubber gloves, hot water and held my breath until it was blasted. Veggie principles aside, I have never looked at a crustacean and identified it as potential human food. Somewhere back in time, ancient man ate an anchovy for the first time and I imagine it was like Mmm...what's this many legged crawling thing with next to no meat on it from the bottom of the sea ?, followed by revulsion.I admit I have never tried one, but I have never tried monkey brain or dog either.