Home repair/maintenance/improvement thread

Johnny 13 wrote:Reader's Digest has a big home repair book that I have been using as my bible for the last 20 years. Check out The New Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual. It is well illustrated, and covers most everything you might encounter. I second this book recommendation. I rehabbed a house and i learned everything as i went. I learned quickly what my strong areas are (electrical, tile) and where I should call in a pro (plumbing, plumbing). i have found that after finding a good local professional, you can ask this person who they recommend in other fields of repair. It usually pays to find a good honest circle of good repair people. I did a bunch of things where i realized that practice makes perfect. Drywalling is not rocket science. It is technique. Practice mudding and taping in a closet or a bath before you tackle a bigger room. Tile is so easy that i cannot believe that people pay big bucks to have it done. Unless time is an issue...... Good luck. Post pics.

Dude is being true to his word. He'll be coming back tomorrow afternoon to follow up. No charge. We're going to run a hose on the roof and try to pinpoint what the hell is going on. Noticed that there is new wood where the leak is coming in, so it probably has been an ongoing problem we inherited from the prior owners. I think they thought it was fixed when the roof was replace in 2006, but rotted wood was definitely removed recently right at the site of the problem.Oh and we're going to figure out where the goddamn squirrels are getting in at night.

You get yourself a Tivo or the DVR option from your cable/sat company, and you setup season recordings for Ask This Old House and Holmes on Homes.I have been watching TOH since Bob Vila hosted, and had subscriptions to their magazine since it has existed.I just got my first place of my very own, and I have been pleasantly surprised that I know how to tackle every thing that I have seen so far.The most advanced thing I have done to date is knock out the death trap basement stairs and re-frame in a new triple-stringer staircase from scratch.
"If you can't get 'yer rock & roll across in less than two minutes,
another five isn't going to make the difference"
- Lin Brehmer

Ty Webb wrote:killyourself wrote:2nd Rick wrote:Holmes on Homes.dude is a fuckin' badass. I love watching his show.+1We've been watching that one for a long time now.Was amused to see his stunned reaction to the news that his latest project had a buried oil tank in the back yard. He said he'd never even heard of such a thing, while it has been our constant worry while house-hunting here in NY because they're fucking all over the place.Not a fan. He definitely knows his stuff but 1/2 the show is his stunned reaction to various mistakes made by the previous contractor. The same mistakes he saw in the last house, mind you. The same mistakes most crappy contractors make. Too much schtick for my taste.
Eat me.

Ty Webb wrote:killyourself wrote:2nd Rick wrote:Holmes on Homes.dude is a fuckin' badass. I love watching his show.+1We've been watching that one for a long time now.Was amused to see his stunned reaction to the news that his latest project had a buried oil tank in the back yard. He said he'd never even heard of such a thing, while it has been our constant worry while house-hunting here in NY because they're fucking all over the place.On Comcast, they never showed the 2nd half of that episode...That's the one with the hot daughter in the librarian glasses and the POW stacked body, right?.
"If you can't get 'yer rock & roll across in less than two minutes,
another five isn't going to make the difference"
- Lin Brehmer

killyourself wrote:2nd Rick wrote:Holmes on Homes.dude is a fuckin' badass. I love watching his show.+1We've been watching that one for a long time now.Was amused to see his stunned reaction to the news that his latest project had a buried oil tank in the back yard. He said he'd never even heard of such a thing, while it has been our constant worry while house-hunting here in NY because they're fucking all over the place.
You had me at Sex Traction Aunts Getting Vodka-Rogered On Glass Furniture

Ty Webb wrote:killyourself wrote:2nd Rick wrote:Holmes on Homes.dude is a fuckin' badass. I love watching his show.+1We've been watching that one for a long time now.Was amused to see his stunned reaction to the news that his latest project had a buried oil tank in the back yard. He said he'd never even heard of such a thing, while it has been our constant worry while house-hunting here in NY because they're fucking all over the place.The vernacular is L.U.S.T. -- Leaking Underground Storage Tank

squarewave wrote:On Comcast, they never showed the 2nd half of that episode...That's the one with the hot daughter in the librarian glasses and the POW stacked body, right?.Shit. I must've missed the best part of that episode if that's the case.Placing an order for that DIY book right now. I'm going to need it big time.
You had me at Sex Traction Aunts Getting Vodka-Rogered On Glass Furniture