Sound Proofing

For this type of situation, sometimes the best answer is not to try to increase isolation, but rather to increase ambient noise.White noise machines are remarkably effective in limiting the conversations and other sounds that one can hear or understand, are easy to fall asleep to, and aren't that expensive. Of course, a radio tuned between stations and set to low volume does a very good approximation of that, but tends to be a little more potentially annoying.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

Sound Proofing

Hey Mark!If I'm not mistaken, the best method of sound proofing is to add mass. drapes and hippy bullshit will soften the sound, but it won't make it quieter. cork panels could be good to add to both sides of the wall, but it may not flatter the room depending on the location.can you put your heavier furniture against that wall?
kerble is right.

Sound Proofing

Faiz, you are quicker than Errol Flynn in a convent school dormitory!Pathetically, I bought furniture for the first time only 3 months ago. The room is not large, a bedroom, and whilst I have a medium sized bookshelf, there is not much I can put against there.Looks like we are going to have this landlord conversation - there are lots of whizzy firms here that do this stuff, hopefully not too expensive. I just am worried about whether they agree.Might pursue the hippy bullshit anyway, hope to set up some kind of diabolical commune one day. You are most welcome to visit!
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

Sound Proofing

Bump, though my issue is a bit different, more domestic.The wall between mine and my flatmate's room is very thin, to the extent that conversations, my nighttime grunts, snores, Tarzan cries, screams for my mother, low level music and footsteps etc can be heard. Not such a problem with me (I am insensitive and somewhat evil), but understandably a bit of a privacy issue for my friend. Given that we are in a rented flat (and thus have landlord complications over any alterations to walls), do you have any tips or suggestions for reducing the transmission of sound? Most of the soundproofing stuff I've just looked up on the internet seems to involve gluing or screwing another wall to my wall, which might cause problems with the landlords, though we're going to call them to discuss.Is it worth my investing in some hippy wall coverings, tie-dye rugs and that sort of delicious nonsense to lessen the inter-room conversation, or would that not have much effect at all and just make my room look really cool in 1970? I suspect the latter and that we will have to have a bit of a landlord tussle, but any helpful and idiot-proof advice would be appreciate. Please help save my non-existent sex life, I have not been able to bring a goat home for months.Edit: I should clarify my wool above: if extensive wall alteration and hence landlord permission is required, then I have some idea where to go (though UK recommendations would definitely be smashing). I am more posting this to see if there are any easy domestic solutions that do not require adding panels/another wall. Cheers, brains.

Sound Proofing

You could screw on another layer of drywall and instead of taping the joints, you cover the wall with moving blankets or some of that hippy bullshit. Then whenever you move out you take it all down, spackle the screw holes, and touch up the paint.Or....If you can get the okay from your landlord, the best solution would be to pull off the existing drywall, fill the wall with insulation, reinstall drywall, tape the joints, texture the wall, and paint. For extra isolation, apply 2 layers of drywall before taping the joints. If the door to your room is hollow, replace it will a solid core door.

Sound Proofing

goosman wrote:blue\_thunder wrote:If you can get the okay from your landlord, the best solution would be to pull off the existing drywall, fill the wall with insulation, reinstall drywall, tape the joints, texture the wall, and paint. For extra isolation, apply 2 layers of drywall before taping the joints.Wouldn't you want to apply a layer of drywall, tape the joints, and then apply a second layer of drywall with the joints staggered and then tape those joints? I believe that's how I've done it in the past.I suppose if you really wanted to tape both layers of drywall, you could, but given that it's his bedroom and he's just trying to keep his sex noises from distrubing his roommates, I wouldn't think it'd be worth the extra time and effort of taping the first layer of drywall. Sure, stagger the joints, but personally I wouldn't bother with the extra taping. He'll probably have more sound transmitting through the duct work of his HVAC or the crack under his door than would ever make it through an untaped drywall joint.

Sound Proofing

sparky wrote:Non-sex noises, blue\_thunder, non-sex noises. (But they're the worst kind.)Non-sex noises??? Do you mean the sounds of crying yourself to sleep in disgust after violently humping the furniture and ejaculating all over your room while watching reruns of the Golden Girls. Sorry, but I don't even think three layers of drywall could contain those horrific noises. I kid..

Sound Proofing

blue\_thunder wrote:If you can get the okay from your landlord, the best solution would be to pull off the existing drywall, fill the wall with insulation, reinstall drywall, tape the joints, texture the wall, and paint. For extra isolation, apply 2 layers of drywall before taping the joints.Wouldn't you want to apply a layer of drywall, tape the joints, and then apply a second layer of drywall with the joints staggered and then tape those joints? I believe that's how I've done it in the past.

Sound Proofing

endofanera wrote:White noise machinesThat's worth a punt to improve the situation. Thanks for the tip. I'm writing this in bed whilst the rest of the flat is asleep and am acutely aware that every step I take outside the bed produces a crack or creak that will seem to be twice as loud on the other side of the wall. Of course, having massive, club-like feet made of wood does not help.endofanera, I feel compelled at this point that I've always admired your Mike Watt quote and have not had an appropriate opportunity to say so before - nice one!