Cleaning Vinyl

The majority of my records aren't that old/scratched/dirty etc, (1 month to 30 years old) so would you still suggest I buy a VPI? In this case, is this machine of good quality for the price? http://www.ebay.com/itm/VPI-HW16-5-Reco ... 405wt\_1344That's what they're going for. I've had mine for 4 years + w/no problems. Buy one now before they're $600.00

Cleaning Vinyl

woodpanel wrote:what\_universe wrote:The hell!? From Rega.co.uk...."Don't use any record cleaner that works while the record isplaying or any cleaners that use water or solvents. If youkeep your records stored in their sleeves, avoid touching theplaying surfaces, play with the lid down and keep all waterand fluids away, cleaning should not be necessary. Don'tworry about visible dust on the record surface, this isbrushed aside by the stylus and any that collects on the styluscan be easily blown away. In general, record cleaning isoverdone and one should not believe all the claims made byrecord cleaner manufacturers."My guess is they figure there's more chance of the average Joe screwing things up than helping. I've had a VPI 16.5 since '94, still going strong. But I am enamored of the Monk/Loricraft type cleaners. The VPI is just too freakin loud. This fellow made an awesome DIY version of a Loricraft:If I can pick up a cheap Lenco table I think I will use the drive as a base to make one, already have the vacuum pump and plenty of metal and gears and such.if you are interested in selling the VPI machine, let me know. I need one.

Cleaning Vinyl

The hell!? From Rega.co.uk...."Don't use any record cleaner that works while the record isplaying or any cleaners that use water or solvents. If youkeep your records stored in their sleeves, avoid touching theplaying surfaces, play with the lid down and keep all waterand fluids away, cleaning should not be necessary. Don'tworry about visible dust on the record surface, this isbrushed aside by the stylus and any that collects on the styluscan be easily blown away. In general, record cleaning isoverdone and one should not believe all the claims made byrecord cleaner manufacturers."

Cleaning Vinyl

what\_universe wrote:The hell!? From Rega.co.uk...."Don't use any record cleaner that works while the record isplaying or any cleaners that use water or solvents. If youkeep your records stored in their sleeves, avoid touching theplaying surfaces, play with the lid down and keep all waterand fluids away, cleaning should not be necessary. Don'tworry about visible dust on the record surface, this isbrushed aside by the stylus and any that collects on the styluscan be easily blown away. In general, record cleaning isoverdone and one should not believe all the claims made byrecord cleaner manufacturers."My guess is they figure there's more chance of the average Joe screwing things up than helping. I've had a VPI 16.5 since '94, still going strong. But I am enamored of the Monk/Loricraft type cleaners. The VPI is just too freakin loud. This fellow made an awesome DIY version of a Loricraft:If I can pick up a cheap Lenco table I think I will use the drive as a base to make one, already have the vacuum pump and plenty of metal and gears and such.

Cleaning Vinyl

motorbike guy wrote:if you are interested in selling the VPI machine, let me know. I need one.Actually I would sell it, only bitch is the shipping. Where are you located (I'm in Switzerland)? The other thing is, if you are in Europe, this is a 120 volt machine I bought in the U.S. Been meaning to just buy the guts to change it to 240v but it runs fine on a transformer, so...Swiss Post are very proud of their services, I think it would be at least a hundred bucks to ship, even within Europe.

Cleaning Vinyl

I'm sure it was brought up in this thread, but I recently cleaned a few cheap 7 I bought with Elmer's wood glue, god damn it works. It's such a night and day difference. Is there a reason not to use it? Bad for the records? Bad for the needle? Something?