All Purpose Horror Interest Thread

krs wrote:The new "Cabal Cut" was great. A definite improvement over the original (which is laughable at times). It aligns the film more closely to the book, and is a more proper screen representation, IMO.Some dude (Russell Charrington) re-cut the film and added footage from workprints he was able to get his hands on. The additional footage came from VHS tapes, so it is not high-quality, but good enough. The idea behind showing this new version, is to get Fox to release the actual film so that he can cut it proper and release a DVD/Blu-Ray edition for them. Clive Barker is totally on-board (apparently loved the new cut), and Fox is showing interest, but wants to be sure it will sell. If the tour comes to your town, it is worth seeing. I encourage people to go and show you support so that this can happen.It did make for a far more cohesive film. I hadn't even thought about that the some of the workprints/extra footage would have been vhs(given that it was shot in the late eighties).It didn't take away anything from the film. See it if you have the chance(and were a fan of Nightbreed\_.It was also nice to see the Portage almost full.

I'll preface this by saying I don't watch a lot of movies, so forgive me for covering what i'm sure is well worn ground. I don't even know if this movies qualifies but, just saw the orignal Wicker Man flick from 1970whatever. Loved it. Even the elements that might be considered campy today. What a great movie. I loved the comparitvely slow creepy pace, and the combination of dispair, confusion and frustration felt by the investigator. The whole thing took on a bit surreality with the costumes and sexual rituals. I had no idea what I was in for, and I got totally lost in that world.

If you like scholarly analyses of horror, might I recommend the Irish Journal Of Gothic and Horror Studies website:http://irishgothichorrorjournal.homestead.com/Well-written essays on horror media and culture and a pretty fun links page. I just discovered author Robert Aickman. Great writer (mostly short stories) in the M.R. James, Blackwood, English Gentleman in some strange scary shit mode. Not all of his tales work for me, but the ones that do have something real special about them. Very subtle touch. Nice Edward Gorey illustrated dust jackets, too. Before moving, I couldn't find any in Chicago bookstores but then found three of his best at a shop on the Northside so, you never know.

David Thomson on The Black Panther (1977). Looks good.The film offers no sympathy for Neilson, and allows him not a touch of glamour. The contrast with The Silence of the Lambs is very striking, for somehow the figure of Hannibal Lecter emerged with a loathsome authority and allure that won an Oscar for Anthony Hopkins. But there s another comparison worth making. There are moments in The Black Panther where Neilson irresistibly reminds us of Travis Bickle. Why not, for Scorsese s Taxi Driver opened in 1976, just before this film was made.
Segment Two: Servo falls in love with Joel's new blender, but the courtship turns sour when Joel drinks from Servo's girl. Undeterred, Servo flirts with the coffeemaker, until he realizes he's a guy.

scott wrote:Just watched a teevee series on Netflix, called American Horror Story. They only have season 1 which is a damn shame, cause it was really solid. Highly recommended. It's still on the air, in it's third season right now iirc though maybe it's still the second? Needless to say I set up a DVR series recording for it, can't wait to see season two. http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57519&p=1407954&hilit=+american+horror+story#p1407954It's worth noting that they are going anthology(season two does not follow season one). Think Creepshow.