Geiginni's Classical Music Discussion

givemenoughrope wrote:Finally diving into the beef oven 4tets. Drop out of life with full scores from Dover in hand. What are the favorite interpretations/recordings? Listened to this guy half a dozen times already since coffee and it does it for me:http://youtu.be/hfrC6C\_hM7sI remember picking up the Berg 4tet recordings pretty cheap about a decade ago. Picked up the Emerson about a year ago but haven't had time to actually engage them. Kudos on following along with score.

bigc wrote:I'm continually trying to find classical connections or roots for the kinds of things Stars of the Lid and their ilk do, to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? I love the glacial pacing of that genre, and I really like the more traditional instrumentation.Hmmm... maybe some of the longest Morton Feldman pieces and Arvo Pärt. Also, old western classical music, gregorian chant and all that stuff, has the same effect of wonder and inmensity on me.

Isabelle Gall wrote:goatlord wrote:Does anyone knows of good young people that are doing contemprary classical/chamber/composition stuff right now? I know that it's not actually classical music, but I'm curious of people that are doing complex, composed stuff right now, with orchestas and such, that aren't dudes above 80 years old. So, I guess that I consider young people that are 20 years old up to 50 or something like that.Laurence Crane is 52. Richard Barrett 54. Jakob Ullmann 55. Michael Finnissy 67. Maybe Radu Malfatti too (70). Younger people than that doing work with strings and acoustics seem to lean towards drone/ambient wash for some reason.Shit tons of people. Conservatories are clogged with them. Some of them are great. While they aren't composers, the ensemble Eighth Blackbird is all young people (in their 30s, I believe). They tend toward contemporary compositions, too.

Does anyone knows of good young people that are doing contemprary classical/chamber/composition stuff right now? I know that it's not actually classical music, but I'm curious of people that are doing complex, composed stuff right now, with orchestas and such, that aren't dudes above 80 years old. So, I guess that I consider young people that are 20 years old up to 50 or something like that.It seems like it's a dying art form, and you can only get grants, money and stuff if you do stuff from people that got famous from the 50's and backwards to the beginning of time. Thank you!

goatlord wrote:Does anyone knows of good young people that are doing contemprary "classical/chamber/composition" stuff right now? I know that it's not actually classical music, but I'm curious of people that are doing complex, composed stuff right now, with orchestas and such, that aren't dudes above 80 years old. So, I guess that I consider "young" people that are 20 years old up to 50 or something like that.Laurence Crane is 52. Richard Barrett 54. Jakob Ullmann 55. Michael Finnissy 67. Maybe Radu Malfatti too (70). Younger people than that doing work with strings and acoustics seem to lean towards drone/ambient wash for some reason.