Music Genre: Black Midi Seriously?

It's people trying. Trying, exploring, and creating. It may be low commitment, I would not imagine people will define themselves by this or that it'll be a movement years down the line, but that just makes it a fun Internet phenomena. Exciting phenomena are valuable.I didn't realize the Queitus article mentioned Goodiepal! Black Midi reminds me of him, and Nancarrow, which has been posted on FB. I was way stuck into him when his stuff first started circulating.

Robert Barry wrote:When I described the Black Midi stuff I d heard to Holly Herndon, she was apt to liken it to the early twentieth century cluster chords of Charles Ives, or to think of it as a kind of absurdist critique “ whether deliberate or not “ of the extremes of virtuosity demanded by the ˜new complexity music of composers like Brian Ferneyhough.I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not deliberate.

Twilight Sparkle wrote:How can you not think this is cool? This is awesome. Please add a Not Crap, because Not Crap.the most extreme density would be your choice thenRobot McGearman wrote:Sounds like Satan's getting lazy with his musical output.this is excellent
Mark Lansing wrote:Night Ranger, on the other hand, always sucked like a cheap whore with bad teeth at a Shriner's convention.

the Quietus wrote:Though far from human-sounding by any traditional metric, another stream of contemporary music which pushes the scanning ability of digital systems to their limit goes by the name of Black Midi. So called for the incredible density of notes crammed onto their scores, I first happened upon the Black Midi scene thanks to an article on Rhizome in late September.Artists use cheap software like Synthesia, intended as a vaguely Guitar Hero-ish piano tuition aid, as a means of visualising their pieces for YouTube consumption. Notes rain down on the piano keyboard like a tropical storm with some pieces averaging more than 60,000 notes a second, note counts in the millions “ even billions “ over the course of a few minutes. At moments of the most extreme densities, the system s ability to represent the information it is being fed breaks down and the sound erupts into a scree of digital distortion. There is a reason why so many ˜blackers refer to their tunes as impossible music.phpBB [media]
Mark Lansing wrote:Night Ranger, on the other hand, always sucked like a cheap whore with bad teeth at a Shriner's convention.