Audio Interface Recommendation?

MrFood wrote:Is there a PCI interface which goes for cheap these days (because obviously I won't be able to use it with other machines) with a direct in for one or more guitars?Lots of decent PCI interfaces out there, but I can't think of one with a high Z input for guitars. Would you be cool with using a (high Z input) DI-Box along with the interface? That would raise the cost, but you'd still get a decent system for small money.

Pope Fidelio Fist wrote:I just got the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6...a great interface. The pres are nice and clear and it comes with some cool software gift/sample enticements. Plus it has a lot of connectivity options for a 2 ch. (mic-pre) interface. You can't go wrong with this thing...solid and tough and reasonably priced ($250 at the most)...I love it.just ordered one, as an upgrade to my fasttrack that i can also record/play live with remotely.had some trouble deciding between this one and the Roland Quad Capture - both seem to be excellent, with the roland boasting better drivers/lower latency. in the end i chose the NI for the 2 extra line in's and a review saying it's better suited to precise mixing whereas the Roland has some smearing/sweetening of the output

I have the presonus FP10 and I dig it well enough. Plug and play mostly works without issue (sometimes you've gotta unplug it and plug it back in for whatever reason).I've daisy chained two of them and done 16 channels into my old macbook without any problems. I have known a couple people (one with the FP10, one with the Firestudio Project) who have had bad luck with them, though. The build quality seems inconsistent with a few things that are prone to fail. My old bandmates sent one back to presonus a couple times and then finally gave up and trashed the thing. It also only does 24/96 on the first two channels. From what I've heard, the similarly priced Focusrite interfaces are better quality.edit: I'm personally saving for a Mackie Onyx 1640i, but it's a bit pricier. Seems to be the best combo of channels/features/quality/price out there.

maybe that's just the FP10. I actually think its something like it only does 24/96 if you're ONLY using the first two channels and if you use more it does them all at 16 bit but I'm not 100% on that.edit: I can't find anything on this in the manual actually. I know I read it somewhere but maybe i'm misremembering something? anybody?edit 2: I'm leaving it in my original post for now, but I am probably wrong about this. I swear I read it somewhere but I am not able to confirm at all.

Bump!I'm contemplating getting a small, 2 channel USB interface for using at home. Should be:a - reasonably priced; I'm not a monied person and whatever it costs over in Americaland, it'll be twice as fucking much for me, I guarantee it.b - but not total dog shit, you know, I want a couple of usable preamps, not complete waste-of-money junk.c - S/PDIF output would mean I could use it to add two extra channels to my Saffire Pro 40 when need be... which would be right handy.What says youse?