Tell me about the post-racist New South again

numberthirty wrote:No shit. Bitch at place for being welfare state while ignoring that you waged a war against them less than two hundred years ago.I know you aren't picking sides, but we have to remember who shot first. Just because your side, oh...I mean their side ultimately lost, it does not mean the federal government waged war on the South. If we can't be honest about reality, what do we have to talk about? The Southern sates fought against the Union and got their asses handed to them. A completely different thing from what you are talking about.

Steve V. wrote:numberthirty wrote:No shit. Bitch at place for being welfare state while ignoring that you waged a war against them less than two hundred years ago.Right.This whole "let's shit on the South" thing is fucking weak and offensive. It's a lot of condescending broad-strokes and I hope many of you are embarrassed by your candor. Let's talk about how fucked up where you live is and let's denigrate the people you know and let's pile on about your history. Come on Chicago/New York/Canada/Spain/Milwaukee, let's look at some figures and call your dwelling place a \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_ and your people \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_s.I much prefer making fun of your music tastes than saying you're something you're not based on where you live.Blackmarket, from the Raab Collection:On Friday, April 12, 1861, Confederate forces opened fire on Fort Sumter in Charleston harbor, initiating hostilities between the North and South. Lincoln immediately began moving to meet the crisis head on. The U.S. Army had less than 800 officers and only some 14,000 enlisted men, yet the federal government needed to mobilize for war. The only law in existence permitting the raising of additional troops was the Militia Act of 1792, which empowered the president to call out the militia to suppress insurrection. Using this law, on April 15, Lincoln issued a proclamation declaring that an insurrection existed, called out 75,000 men to put it down, and convened a special session of Congress for July 4. On April 19, Lincoln issued his proclamation blockading Southern ports. It provided that "a competent force will be posted so as to prevent entrance and exit of vessels" from the ports of the states in rebellion. Then, to make the proclamation official, he signed this document, authorizing "the Secretary of State to affix the Seal of the United States to a Proclamation setting on foot a Blockade of the ports of the States of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas." The seal was affixed to the blockade proclamation, which was announced that day. It was a de facto declaration of war by the Union against the Confederacy.Ahhhh...I see! War only happens when it is declared! Very good. I don't think the world operates as you think it does. The U.S. has been at war more or less continuously for most of its existence. How many times have we officially declared it?

Steve V. wrote:blackmarket wrote:Ahhhh...I see! War only happens when it is declared! Very good. I don't think the world operates as you think it does. The U.S. has been at war more or less constantly for most of it's existence. How many times have we officially declared it?Well, you said, previously:blackmarket wrote:I know you aren't picking sides, but we have to remember who shot first. Just because your side, oh...I mean their side ultimately lost, it does not mean the federal government waged war on the South. If we can't be honest about reality, what do we have to talk about? The Southern sates fought against the Union and got their asses handed to them. A completely different thing from what you are talking about.When, in fact, it was The North declaring war on The South.Yes, The Great War of Northern Aggression, and all that. I've heard it before. Still bullshit.I am not going to waste my time arguing with someone who apparently has been brainwashed by Southern mythology more less since birth.

numberthirty wrote:Without picking a side...The Great Chicago Fire happened six years after The Civil War. In addition to most everyone being able to tell you about it, there are a shitload of fire hydrants all over the city.That fire was not set intentionally.This was done on purpose at roughly the same time, and almost no one can tell you about it. Hell, people say "Just get over it." Better yet, they call the folks who were imprisoned there "Loser babies".http://www.wbez.org/series/curious-city/chicagos-forgotten-civil-war-prison-camp-111688I know you aren't picking sides or anything, but...I don't think anyone really cares. The institutions these men were fighting to uphold no doubt paled in comparison to what was going on in those camps. Perhaps getting a taste of one's own medicine?

Steve V. wrote:blackmarket wrote:Steve V. wrote:jimmy two hands wrote:Gramsci wrote:And WTF is with all the Confederate Flags?!?!? "As a foreigner" what I don't get is that surely it should be regarded as treason to fly one of those right? They fucking lost a Civil WarThe South has a lot of whiney loser babies who are still pissed 150 years after the fact that they are no longer allowed to own human beings. And America in general, north and south, has a bunch of assholes who like to fly the treason flag to show their support of a racial caste system.Could also be that a Southerner is proud to have come from a bloodline that dealt with a complete savaging on behalf of Union troops and rebuilt their economy/society while also contributing to the American arts canon.The southern United States did not rise, and even today, does not survive by it's own hand. It has never really learned to exist and be self-sustaining without that olde-tyme subsidy of slaved, human labor. The largest welfare states (states that receive more money from the federal government than they pay to it), exist in the South. This fits the trend. In its politics, we can see a habit that veers toward serfdom. For all it's posturing as a "rebel" stronghold, time, and time again, we see Southern culture pay fealty to wealth and power.I don't know, I don't see this "posturing" you speak of.You have never seen Southern culture portrayed as rebellious? You have never heard of this Confederate battle flag Southerners hold so dearly as being called a "rebel flag"...an outlaw symbol of liberty? I find that all very hard to believe.

Great time today in The South today in the Truman Show set of Seaside when we overheard a Hillbillies with Money couple whisper "I can't believe they let Hispanics in here" while ordering.Context, I've been told by friends in Atlanta that the Realtors in Seaside don't sell to Blacks and Hispanics. The place is so white we started a "Spot the Other Minority" game. One day zero... even the service workers all look like A&F ad people. This is the American South and I'm sure Vermont has more minorities...Is this sort of shit - I mean privatised communities in the South that segregate via "legal means" - normal?And WTF is with all the Confederate Flags?!?!? "As a foreigner" what I don't get is that surely it should be regarded as treason to fly one of those right? They fucking lost a Civil War
Reality

Popular Mechanics Report of 9-11

NIST Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster

Gramsci wrote:And WTF is with all the Confederate Flags?!?!? "As a foreigner" what I don't get is that surely it should be regarded as treason to fly one of those right? They fucking lost a Civil WarThe South has a lot of whiney loser babies who are still pissed 150 years after the fact that they are no longer allowed to own human beings. And America in general, north and south, has a bunch of assholes who like to fly the treason flag to show their support of a racial caste system.