Peavey Gear?

garthplinko wrote:I think I steered myself away from stereo power amp idea due to additional expense - if I'm feeding it stereo effects, I need two separate pre-amps as well which increases cost. bah. you just need a dual preamp, which isnt that crazy. Alembic F2-B style. Easy to build and less costly than a full amp, probably easy to hunt out some existing versions too.

Peavey Gear?

garthplinko wrote:endofanera wrote:yard barf wrote:garthplinko wrote:but this particular amp? OMG NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NONO - NIGHTMARESThey are great amps but they weigh as much as an SVT (at least that's how I remember).hahaha. Jesus, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't want to lug that around.It doesn't weigh as much as an SVT (we had an SVT at the same time as we owned our Peavey powered PA).That said, they are indeed very heavy power amps. Indestructible, cheap, good for folks just learning how to mix live sound because of the built in limiter, and quite heavy. Just not quite THAT heavy. More like the weight of a Twin maybe.I was being hyperbolic. Next time will use "boat anchor" to make it more obvious. I figured in this day-and-age, SVT would be interchangeable.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

Peavey Gear?

One guy's take -- The Peavey Specials are probably the most "Gig Proof" solution to Garth's gear issue.- Sure. The preamp thing would be interesting. That said, it also creates one more layer of "Dammit!!!" when it comes to having to potentially trouble shoot what would be a modular setup.Not trying to harsh anyone's suggestion. Just pointing that out.

Peavey Gear?

I picked up a second Special for FM garthplinko yesterday. It was on CL about 10 minutes from my house. It is fairly heavy for its size. This one has a nearly new Texas Heat speaker in it. Sounds pretty good! The seller played some reverb-heavy blues licks on his tele through it to show me that it worked.

Peavey Gear?

i actually recently bought a Peavey Musician 400 series it's from 77 and it came with a massive 4x12 cab that's from 73. The Musician has a shitty built in fuzz but the distortion is nice! The 300 series musician has a rad fuzz! I think the cab is a 412f? it's fucking loud! Sounds awesome with all original eminence speakers! luckily none of them are blown! all together it cost me $350! god i love how cheap peavey gear is!