Rechargeable pedalboard why not

I could see the appeal for gigs. Seems a little annoying if you are writing or in the studio, leaving your stuff hooked up for hours at a time to look after it like a smartphone. Of course both places it's really not too much of a hassle to find outlets, the appeal beingNate Dort wrote:substantially cleaner power from a relatively cheap rechargable battery...and general tidiness?

They make pedals with individual rechargeable batteries inside them, so I don't see why not. No more worries about ground loops 'n' shit. You could still plug it in if you needed to, and if the plug got kicked out you wouldn't lose power either.I suppose if all your pedals were the rechargeable sort then you would have an equivalent setup by default.

monotremata wrote:Has anyone actually used the Pedaltrain Volto?? Im curious as to how long it actually lasts. It came out right after I got my old Pedaltrain Pro and it just seemed kinda gimmicky to me. I have a One Spot which is great but its a mess. Would be nice to just get that all out of the way and only have my cables going to my amp and guitar hooked up.A friend used one on the road and just charged it up before each gig. Made it thru each sound check and show with no issues. Took it to Europe for a tour and no problems either. He brought it into the studio and it was fine for the whole 10-ish hour session. He's pretty picky about tone, pedals, etc. and loves it.

I work in a tv studio where we used rechargeable 9v batteries on the mics and IFBs for a while. We then had a fire in the studio when one of those batteries exploded on the charger without really showing any signs of wear ahead of time. Consequently, I'm a bit wary of rechargeable battery packs. Not that you don't run the risk of having power/fire issues on a big power supply or a daisy chain.

I'd use something like this: http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo41865 ... witch.aspxAt the risk of getting all bishopdante over here, the LiFePO4 packs are super stable. You can puncture them with a screwdriver and they won't blow up. They hold charge for a long time (months) without loss. Less energy density than Li Ion, but that's the tradeoff. I've got one on my motorcycle to replace the heavy lead-acid.1500 mAh would run a typical pedal board all day. Just get one with a balancing circuit PCB built into it and an appropriate charger.