Rechargeable pedalboard why not

The voodoo labs and upper end ones seem to work better but the digital stuff usually says you need to use the prescribed power transformer for the unit. Most people figure this is bullshit and it is because the company want to get more money from you for the dedicated power supplies and try plugging in a daisy chain and when it works it confirms this thought. It may be that digital pedals are expecting to see not just the specified voltage but the correct milliamps specified and I don't know if this is what they get in Daisy Chain situations and if the load of the other pedals effects the milliamps and the pedal is not getting the juice it is designed for but enough for it to function. As Steve pointed out cross talk could also be an issue in chaining.Then you have Electro Harmonix who seem to very odd required power transformers on some of their gear. I have a couple of Magic Stomps that require 12 Volt AC and have a large transformer on the required plug. So you could get pretty esoteric trying to cover all bases.

Voodoo Labs, BBE, Strymon, Cioks, T-Rex and a shower of Chinese manufacturers have been making high quality pedal power supplies for 20+ years now. I've been using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 1st gen. for at least 15 years without a single problem -- the thing is dead quiet, designed to survive a nuclear war, doesn't have to be recharged and doesn't contain toxic chemicals. I don't quite see what I stand to gain by replacing it with a battery.

I was kinda taken with this idea this morning- after having a couple power supply issues on the last tour.Looks like an off-the-shelf solution can be had for not much money. Any number of $30-60 external 'power bank' and 'external batteries' that put out 9v or 12v DC, anywhere from 10,000 to 28,000mA. If daisy-chaining works, the 9v option is fine, if not Moor makes a micro power supply that takes 12v DC in, and has 8 9v outs, up to 300mA each. It also, obviously can just be plugged in to work like every other power supply. whole shebang would take up about 1 pedal worth of space, cost $80.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.

TylerSavage wrote:Same - I just get excited about groupwork. it would be nice to have a set of pretty much any jack you could need, with a switchable voltage - that you could easily hook up / wire in a battery - so if a new super awesome and cheap badass battery comes out, you can swap that in and reuse the jack part.My wife and I play guitar in the same band - as of five minutes ago I ordered a pedal power 2 because no-one took my birthday hints. I'd still like to get/build something like this and then we can see who's having more fun at shows/practice/studioI think the idea of making something that is modular- where the battery unit is separate or can be swapped out- really appeals to me. I've been through so many generations of cordless tools and laptops and such. Battery is always the first thing to go. So maybe just a power supply sort of thing that takes a standard DC voltage input, (12 or 18 seem to be popular w/ the available external power units) and had a few more options than just 9v?
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.

Bon Hoga wrote:I've been using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 1st gen. for at least 15 years without a single problem -- the thing is dead quiet, designed to survive a nuclear war, doesn't have to be recharged and doesn't contain toxic chemicals. Very good point.In the same 15 year period, I can't keep track of the number of rechargeable laptop, phone and AA/AAA/9v batteries that I've had to replace after they stopped taking or retaining charge, or became wholly unreliable. Yeah, yeah, I know batteries are getting better, Tesla blah blah blah, but the amount of effort and fiddling I have to go through just to ensure my iPhone makes it through the day is ridiculous.
yaledelay wrote:FUCK YOU APPLE PIE you are a old man...

Bon Hoga wrote:Voodoo Labs, BBE, Strymon, Cioks, T-Rex and a shower of Chinese manufacturers have been making high quality pedal power supplies for 20+ years now. I've been using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 1st gen. for at least 15 years without a single problem -- the thing is dead quiet, designed to survive a nuclear war, doesn't have to be recharged and doesn't contain toxic chemicals. I don't quite see what I stand to gain by replacing it with a battery.You wouldn t need to bring an extension chord to shows for the pedalboard power supply
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

The future of pedal power supplies :Getting a good isolated power supply is an essential investment if you use a lot of pedals especially if they're digital. My Adventure Audio Dream Reaper requires 10mA apparently. An Eventide requires 500mA. I imagine Empress and Strymon and Red Panda pedals are equally as thirsty. Batteries are shit for the environment too.