Electrical Guitar Company

piut_ wrote:Anyone with a coated neck? How different is it compared to the non coated necks?

Am planning to get one soon, but still tied between coated/non coated neck and p90/humbuckers. :(

Yes, the coated neck is cool. I believe that it does change the sound a little bit. To my ear, it has a little bit more jangly rhythm sound, a little bit less of the searing lead sound, but either way can do anything. It's hard to describe. Mine is the matte finish, not shiny, and there's definitely some texture under the palm, which is a little bit strange at all, but certainly not difficult to play or anything. One reason why I like the coated neck is that it's not obvious to people at first that it's aluminum. I've finally gotten annoyed with people in the audience talking more about my guitar than about the way I play. I guess I'm asking for it by playing such unusual instruments. I had originally actually wanted a white powder coated neck, but I guess these show dirt like crazy.

As for pickups, they're both great on these guitars. I now have two EGCs, and on my other one (with the regular uncoated neck), I have one of each. I did it the reverse of the tele deluxe, so the single coil is in the neck and the humbucker in the bridge. The humbucker splits, but doesn't sound so good when split, so you'll really never want to use it as a single. There's definitely an amazing sound to the humbucker in the neck pickup which I wish I had (I was reminded of this watching the Kadane Brothers play --- EGC and Travis Bean humbuckers are closely related to the Fender ones designed by Seth Lover in the early 70s).You really can't go wrong.

wellbutrin wrote:Redline wrote:Why is everybody selling their EGC guitars...? And please don't blame President Obama.I think Trey, Ben and Elisha are all correct. I will say that it surprises me a little when people pay what i assume are relatively high sums of money and sometimes wait years for an awesome looking custom, then decide they don't like it and sell it after a few weeks/months. It's not so much the money aspect of it as everyone's financial situation and spending habits differ but the amount of wait time endured to then turn around and sell raises my eyebrows a little. This is mainly based on the facebook group often alluded to here. I think that part of it is that the guitars just look so fucking badass on the internet that people have almost unreasonable expectations that the guitar will somehow change their guitar playing world, as opposed to just being a different (albeit amazing) flavor. When they realize that there is a little tradeoff (at-times quirky tuning, at-times quirky weight/weight distribution) they don't handle it too well.I think this is all correct. I was in my local big-but-not-mega music store some years back and there was a clutch of cooing dudes around the counter. A customer's back-ordered Rickenbacker had just come in after about a 3 year wait and they were ceremoniously unboxing it. All the shop cats and another customer or two were googoo gaga over this thing, I forget which model but semi-hollow and expenseevo for sure, but the buyer was relatively blasé or at least acting so. As I was heading out of the store I heard him say something to the effect of "yeah it's nice but I think I'm gonna sell it and order something else." Dude hadn't even picked it up out of the case yet! I can see how one's tastes and needs could change after such a long wait time, but it seems impractical to buy something if there's a chance you might get cancer and die before it arrives.
www.myspace.com/pissedplanet
www.myspace.com/hookerdraggerlives

One guy's take...Over the years, I've had a gear related conversation with my brother as well as a couple of "Gear" inclined friends.The gist is something like "There is a pretty good case to be made against holding onto a rare/moderately(and on up) priced piece of gear if it could probably wind up being something that another player/person who records would be using almost every day."At least a couple of folks I know have seemed to feel that way.

The TB2000 I owned in the '90s was ditched pretty quickly because I remember not jiving with it for some reason.Last year I snagged one of the TB500 basses, and figured out the prob. I don't really like the TB neck spec, i.e. a tad too thick profile and the zero neck radius. That bass went off to Sweden, partially traded for a Ric 3001 (which eventually ended up going to FM Mason). I got one of the EGC Fender spec bolt on bass necks, which has a standard radius/profile etc. and that thing is a keeper. Unless they start making them lighter, because it neck dives like a fucker.

skoz wrote:benadrian wrote: but due to thing like electrical noise in my house, and lack of a wang bar, I tend to grab other guitars first when playing at home.That is an interesting comment. My 2 EGCs a wood body with humbuckers and all metal with single coils are dead silent in terms of grounding/buzz.My house has old wiring and a lot of EMF noise. Any guitar with single coils is noisy as hell here. It's much better at both my practice space and at work, which both have more modern wiring. It's no fault of the guitar.

benadrian wrote:My house has old wiring and a lot of EMF noise. Any guitar with single coils is noisy as hell here. It's much better at both my practice space and at work, which both have more modern wiring. It's no fault of the guitar.Ben, the electro-harmonix Hum Debugger pretty much does what it says it does. Well worth it if you have a place with noisy wiring for single coils.

I was waiting for Kevin to make the announcement on here but it looks like EGC will be moving to Birmingham. Looking forward to seeing the changes from the move:Quick heads up. All bolt necks are complete. There are quite a few extras made on purpose if anyone should want one. Orders have been shipping and will continue to ship for about a week and half based on the schedule. Just an update and again thank you. Also all anodize has been received, except gold.Ps. We are moving to Birmingham, Alabama. It s quite a beautiful city with an amazing machining background and for what I m going to do, this is the only way to do it.As always a thank you all and me best to you on this Friday.

To continue the discussion above, sometimes super custom options don t always work out. For example, I always liked Teles, Bigsby s, and old Dynasonic pickups, especially those that came in old Kustom and Martin electrics. I had a guitar that combined all three, with the pickups being made by TV Jones. It just kind of sucked! I had all sorts of work done to it and it was never quite right. It did not help that the pickups had modifications to make them more palatable to modern players, which I felt took the edge off of the sound. Anyways, I parted it out and got my money back. I could see someone spending a boatload on they imagine being the perfect guitar and it not turning out to be quite what they expected. There s something to be said about instruments that have been R&D d over time rather than just coming up with something from a loose collection of specs. But they might never have the mystique of a one of a kind instrument that some people here have dreamed up.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll