Electrons win a game!

The Winnemac Electrons (Chicago Metropolitan Baseball Association) defeated the Humboldt Park Red Sox 6-5 at Winnemac field Thursday, June 5, 2003. This brings the Electrons' record to 1-5, five games out of first place in the Red Division.

Cesar Garcia threw a complete game, giving up only 1 earned run, a homer by the Red Sox catcher whose name I don't know.

You can see Electrons standings and scores at the CMBA site:

http://my.voyager.net/~rmarko/

This marks the second time the Electrons have avoided invoking the Slaughter Rule.

John Novotny, our hero, hit a double (thanks to our pesky groundskeeping and the famous "Winnemac Hop"), made several shockingly athletic fly-ball catches in Left Field, and briefly joined the Chicago Latina Women's Soccer Federation while chasing the Red Sox catcher's home run. In that sport he played striker, scored a goal and did a shirtless victory lap while screaming "Ay Caramba!" He is also now a lesbian.

Greg Norman entered the game at Right Field in the third inning, playing error-free ball and running down an inning-ending fly ball with the bases loaded.

Myself, I played seven innings of error-free bench, and decided that the bench is a great vantage point for seeing a game. I also threatened Coach Ryan Rezvani with a $500 fine if he put me on the field in a game we might win.

Ryan is tabulating our stats page, and I'll stick it on this website somewhere because, like that guy in Rolling Stone with the 13.5-inch cock, I just want you to see it.

For now, a greatful Winnemac Electrons team thanks the quirk of statistics that allowed us this win, and we look forward to possibly another one in the remaining 28 games.

your correspondant,
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.

Electrons win a game!

i just found this site. looks awesome.

anyways, i saw this post and was wondering how the CMBA operates?

is it very amateur? or lots of ex college players?

i tried to join the midwest suburban league and they kicked me off the team after a few practices due to my lack of hitting and fielding ability...but i'm still looking for a league to play in.

oh well. if you guys could give me some info on this league, that'd be awesome...

andyk

Electrons win a game!

The CMBA website is located at:

http://my.voyager.net/~rmarko/

What is cool about our team as opposed to the others in the league that I've encountered is that we don't recruit. All of our players are friends of each other in some way with the exception of this guy named Dave. Dave played with a team for at least one season and was told not to bother signing up this year because he probably wouldn't get any playing time. Of course, we made an exception for this guy. Fuck that other team.

The teams in the league can be kind of military and appear to not be having as much fun as us. We started our team by playing pick-up games. Pretty soon we went from a handful of guys to twenty showing up twice a week for games. The next logical step was to try organized ball. What I love about our experiences in this league is that we haven't lost that having fun thing.

There is some really tough competition. I, personally, haven't hit a real fastball in years, and it is hard to make that adjustment. I'm still having a great time. Win or Lose.

It is probably appropriate to say a few words about the Electrolytes. They are our fan base made up primarily of the girlfriends of the team players. (I counted at least ten at the last game.) They come out to every game and don't stop cheering until the last out. We could be down by twenty runs with one out left and you could hear the girls screaming for us to pull off some magical twenty-run rally. Girls, you are a class act. Thank you for your undying support. It does not go unnoticed. A player from the opposing team said that they could have won if they had a bigger cheering section.

As far as our team goes, we are improving with every pitch. Players like Cesar and the rest of the team make me want to play better. At the end of the day, I'm glad they are also my friends. I'm not getting that from the other teams.

When the season ends at the end of July or, if we are fortunate enough, the beginning of August, we will resume our pick-up games. If you are interested, let us know. We usually start at 5:00 PM and go until we can't see anymore. We don't care how good you are. The only rule is that you can't be an asshole. We've managed to keep ourselves surrounded by cool guys and would like to keep it that way. We are just a bunch of guys that want to play baseball.

CRASH
Throw that shit again, meat.
Throw that weak ass shit.
(beat)
Now he's gotta try to slip the
cheese by me. one and one.

You're on top. Now bring me the gas--
Byiiiiiieeeeee!!!

Electrons win a game!

john-

thanks for the info.

i can totally see the "military" attitude of the guys in your league. early this year when i was trying out for this team in the midwest suburban league they told me they were a team for people who maybe played ball in high school and were more interested in "the love of the game" and just getting out there and having fun.

the few practices i attended featured a bunch of guys who would go nuts when you misplayed a ball, struck out, etc. etc. it was insane.

anyways, i'm glad to have found some locals who enjoy a pickup game of baseball. i've been trying to find people to play pickup ball for a long time and it's been nearly impossible...will you be posting about these pickup games? or should i just keep in contact with you as late - july early-august approaches?

anyways, keep me updated and good luck with your future games.

andyk