The Synth/Beatbox Love Thread

Anthony Flack wrote:I got my mate to dig out his SH-101 at praccy and it sounds like it's gone bung, no sound oot the VCO. So I'm all like this sounds like a job for Mister Got An Oscilloscope At Home! so at some point I am going to give that mofo a rigorous probing. The circuitry looks very simple as these things go; would seem to be something you could clone pretty easily.I don't know about Roland, and supposedly some Japanese synths were generally made to a better standard than the famous American ones, but watch out for the PCB traces. Apparently they're very easy to damage when desoldering.

So after about a month of dicking around on VCV Rack and Ripplemaker I have decided that I want to get further into the world of synthesizers and get me a physical, semi-modular patchable synthesizer for making cool ambient Krell-like soundscapes as well as a bunch of glitchy noise. The models I'm currently looking at are:1. Bastle Kastle. ~$85. Cheapest of the lot, capable of cool lo-fi noises, but limited capability to interface with outside modules, gravitates towards the harsher end of the sound spectrum and it looks like the small form factor can make patching stuff together more difficult.2. Behringer Neutron. ~$300. Lots of features including its own delay and distortion modules, can interface with outside modules easily, but, well, Behringer.3. Make Noise 0-Coast. ~$500 new. Seems to be able to achieve both blistering walls of glitchy tone and more refined ambient stuff, can interface with outside modules easily, but it's also the most expensive out of the bunch when bought new, plus I'd have to get a new faceplate for it since I can't stand the default one.Anyway, that's what I'm looking at. Not looking to spend any more than $400 on this. Any advice would be welcome, as well as any other products I may have overlooked that aren't too outside my price range.

A lot of people end up with a 0 Coast as a gateway to modular. Then lots of those get flipped for about $400 after they get the bug. Plenty of people keep it too. I wish I started with one instead of trying to learn like 5 modules and techniques of synthesis all at once. You've probably already learned the beginning lessons on vcv rack. I don't know that any of your options would provided Krell patches om their own though.