The Synth/Beatbox Love Thread

kazoozak wrote:So after about a month of dicking around on VCV Rack and Ripplemaker I have decided that I want to get further into the world of synthesizers and get me a physical, semi-modular patchable synthesizer for making cool ambient Krell-like soundscapes as well as a bunch of glitchy noise. The models I'm currently looking at are:1. Bastle Kastle. ~$85. Cheapest of the lot, capable of cool lo-fi noises, but limited capability to interface with outside modules, gravitates towards the harsher end of the sound spectrum and it looks like the small form factor can make patching stuff together more difficult.2. Behringer Neutron. ~$300. Lots of features including its own delay and distortion modules, can interface with outside modules easily, but, well, Behringer.3. Make Noise 0-Coast. ~$500 new. Seems to be able to achieve both blistering walls of glitchy tone and more refined ambient stuff, can interface with outside modules easily, but it's also the most expensive out of the bunch when bought new, plus I'd have to get a new faceplate for it since I can't stand the default one.Anyway, that's what I'm looking at. Not looking to spend any more than $400 on this. Any advice would be welcome, as well as any other products I may have overlooked that aren't too outside my price range.The Neutron has one of the most versatile patchbays you will find anywhere outside of building your own modular.Might be worth considering a Korg MS20 mini, if you can stand the mini keys.

Agreed with biscuitdough. In Europe it might be worth looking for MFB Stuff too, they had a small range of semimodulars for a few years. I started with a Megazwerg for instance. Word of Warning though: You will want to get more modules, meaning GAS WANT. It's a fairly high pricepoint to jump but maybe it's worth saving up for a 3-6U rack and some modules. Muffwiggler has a very food Buy/Sell/Trade Section for used stuff.

I have at the store, and it's pretty sweet. It sounds good and it can do regular sounds like bass and leads, but can also do more bleep-bloop stuff. It definitely helps that it's semi-modular and the spring reverb is a nice add. I also like that the keyboard has full size keys.Overall I think it's more versatile than Behringer's Model D, but you won't nail those minimoog sounds with the Grandmother.

I ve got a grandmother, and hands down, it s my favorite mono. Now, I ve had the sub37, which has so much more functionality (in the box) and presets etc, but the granny wins for me. The eurorack angle first off (it makes a killer front end, base of operations), but the raw tone it pumps out is just vintage inspired goodness. Sure, people get all in a twist (in the insufferable synth online world) about vintage vs modern analog synths, but the mother seems to get closer to the vintage sound in my head than the subs especially. They have based the œmodule circuits (of course, all one board, but each œsection of the signal path) on their classic full size moog modular designs, so for example that mixer works some nice magic, as it s based on some circuit that makes a model 15 do what it does. I m hazy on details, but it s out there to read up on. Suffice it to say, you can hear and feel there s a difference between the two synths, and if you can do without presets, etc, you will adore the grandmother. The vintage look may seem cute, but the thing also genuinely takes its sound inspiration from that in equal measure. I love it to bits- I ve spent almost every night since picking it up futzing with it and my modest modular set up, and have yet to get bored... it s sweet spot is large.
joesepi wrote:This has nothing to do with our impending doom. I just love dirt bikes.

www.shoddymerchandise.com
www.myspace.com/andtheswede
www.myspace.com/shoddymerchandise