Chicago Municipal Elections 2019

mrcancelled wrote:I'm in the 47th ward. I've spent some time reading up on all of the candidates and watched recordings of a couple of their forums... they're all saying the same shit, but it's generally good shit, so I suppose that's good, but there's not a lot of distinction between the candidates so I've done my best to look into their backgrounds. The two who stood out to me as folks who might actually accomplish this shit were Jeff Jenkins and Angie Maloney. Eileen Dordek also seems cool.These are the candidates, copied and pasted from some website, because there's a lot:- Eileen Dordek, a social-worker and women and LGBTQ activist.- Michael Negron, Mayor Rahm Emanuel s former policy chief.- Angie Maloney, a CPS music teacher and organizer.- Matt Martin, a civil rights attorney at the Illinois Attorney General s Office.- Jeff Jenkins, a co-founder of Midnight Circus in the Parks and a small business owner.- Heather Way Kitzes, a former director of the Lakeview Chamber of Commerce and current manager of government and neighborhood relations for the Chicago Cubs.- Thomas Schwartzers, a Chicago firefighter/paramedic and former police officer.I'll be ok with anyone but the Rahm guy, the Cubs lady, or the ex-cop. Side note: I posted about this in the lefty podcasts thread, but check out Chicago Reader's Back Room Deal pod if you want to hear some good talks on the mayoral and ward elections.ldopa\_chicago wrote:The Girl, I Guess list is really well informed and well explained:http://bit.ly/GirlIGuess2019 (link is to a Google Doc, not sure why it's distributed this way)This is great, thanks for posting this. Based on their info and endorsement of Matt Martin, I'll have to look further into him before Tuesday. Edit: I still have no idea who I'm voting for mayor-wise. I mean, it's Enyia or Preckwinkle for sure, but I'd like to do some more research.Hello fellow 47th warder- Eileen Dordek is great and is my first choice. Jeff Jenkins is also great. Fuck the Rahm guy and the cub's guy. Matt Martin has really disappointed me. He's on the local LSC of McPherson Elementary school and they recently selected a new principal. Matt and three other people on the LSC abstained from voting. They abstained from voting because they didn't like the selection process for the new principal- fair enough, but instead of using his platform to shine a light on the shady process (it's pretty shady) he did nothing. If he can't get one extra person on a local school council to vote with him about delaying a vote until more candidates were at least interviewed- how the hell is he going to get anything done at city hall? Happy to talk more about the particulars. I know Matt and he's a good guy, but this really changed my view of him.

mrcancelled wrote:R.F.F. wrote:mrcancelled wrote:I'm in the 47th ward. I've spent some time reading up on all of the candidates and watched recordings of a couple of their forums... they're all saying the same shit, but it's generally good shit, so I suppose that's good, but there's not a lot of distinction between the candidates so I've done my best to look into their backgrounds. The two who stood out to me as folks who might actually accomplish this shit were Jeff Jenkins and Angie Maloney. Eileen Dordek also seems cool.These are the candidates, copied and pasted from some website, because there's a lot:- Eileen Dordek, a social-worker and women and LGBTQ activist.- Michael Negron, Mayor Rahm Emanuel s former policy chief.- Angie Maloney, a CPS music teacher and organizer.- Matt Martin, a civil rights attorney at the Illinois Attorney General s Office.- Jeff Jenkins, a co-founder of Midnight Circus in the Parks and a small business owner.- Heather Way Kitzes, a former director of the Lakeview Chamber of Commerce and current manager of government and neighborhood relations for the Chicago Cubs.- Thomas Schwartzers, a Chicago firefighter/paramedic and former police officer.I'll be ok with anyone but the Rahm guy, the Cubs lady, or the ex-cop. Side note: I posted about this in the lefty podcasts thread, but check out Chicago Reader's Back Room Deal pod if you want to hear some good talks on the mayoral and ward elections.ldopa\_chicago wrote:The Girl, I Guess list is really well informed and well explained:http://bit.ly/GirlIGuess2019 (link is to a Google Doc, not sure why it's distributed this way)This is great, thanks for posting this. Based on their info and endorsement of Matt Martin, I'll have to look further into him before Tuesday. Edit: I still have no idea who I'm voting for mayor-wise. I mean, it's Enyia or Preckwinkle for sure, but I'd like to do some more research.Hello fellow 47th warder- Eileen Dordek is great and is my first choice. Jeff Jenkins is also great. Fuck the Rahm guy and the cub's guy. Matt Martin has really disappointed me. He's on the local LSC of McPherson Elementary school and they recently selected a new principal. Matt and three other people on the LSC abstained from voting. They abstained from voting because they didn't like the selection process for the new principal- fair enough, but instead of using his platform to shine a light on the shady process (it's pretty shady) he did nothing. If he can't get one extra person on a local school council to vote with him about delaying a vote until more candidates were at least interviewed- how the hell is he going to get anything done at city hall? Happy to talk more about the particulars. I know Matt and he's a good guy, but this really changed my view of him.Ah damn! I just got home from early voting to read this. After reading through his website and a few other sources, including the guide that FM ldopa\_chicago posted, I ended up going with Matt. My fiancee is voting tomorrow and I'll show her your post. Eileen Dordek and Jeff Jenkins both sound really promising.Matt is not a bad guy at all! I don't know him that well, but when the race and the differences between the candidates is really close- any little thing counts. I was a LSC chair for a few years and the only thing LSCs really do is vote on principals and approve budgets. I'm really disappointed with him, but he's not a monster or anything.

How is everybody feeling this morning? Generally good? Rosa won his race outright and Jeanette Taylor, Byron Sigcho-Lopez, Rossana Rodriguez-Sanchez all placed first in their race. Any thoughts on how they will do in the run-offs? Joe Moore is out. Fucking Ed Burke won. And terrible Leslie Hairston won again. What else, good or bad?And how do people feel about Lightfoot vs Preckwrinkle? I've read a lot of mixed stuff on both. The Girl, I Guess guide hates LIghtfoot but she's also gotten a fair amount of support from lefties. Either one of them is vastly preferable to Daley.

All Lightfoot has to do this month to bring it home is: point at federally-charged, newly re-elected 14th Ward Alderman Ed Burke and at the decades of cozy history between him and Preckwinkle. The job Toni gave Burke's failson. The Toni fundraiser Burke's wife threw at her house. The Toni donations Ed raised while out on his rounds shaking down anything with pockets. The machine ties between the two are legion, out in the open.That's all Lightfoot has to do. Any speech unnecessary. Maybe a single word: "Really?" If she's feeling cheeky, say Burkewinkle a lot. I wanted Amara Enyia, and she will be back. But holy shit, Bill Daley coming within 1% of making the runoff scared the fertilizer out of me. The nice thing there is his endless TV commercials featured the smiling visage of a creepy little leprechaun / retired firefighter / complete jagoff in my extended family. So I get to blame Daley's loss on this asshole to his face for the rest of my days. Priorities, man.Also: Byron Sigcho is our guy next door in Pilsen and he's the leader going into the runoff against Acevedo. My bet (and volunteering preference) is he takes it, and that will be increíble. -r

Tommy wrote:ldopa\_chicago wrote:1: Proco Joe OUTProud to say I helped vote his ass out.It was a few years ago, and I don't recall why, but I have a memory of that guy singing a Minor Threat song on stage at Quencher's. Some event Tony Jones put together...? It was silly.In fact I might even Look Back And Laugh if I could only remember how we got to that point.-r