Let's save the planet - Electric cars thread

I drive a 2015 Nissan Leaf. One thing to think about is that turning on the heat significantly reduces one's range. I nearly max out my range most days of the week so things get a bit chilly during the winter. And it doesn't really get that cold here so driving one in, say, the midwest would take big (frozen) brass balls, imo. People do it though. Seems to be a popular car in Norway too.I like the car. I wish it wasn't so goofy looking but whatever.

Pure L wrote:I drive a 2015 Nissan Leaf. One thing to think about is that turning on the heat significantly reduces one's range. I nearly max out my range most days of the week so things get a bit chilly during the winter. And it doesn't really get that cold here so driving one in, say, the midwest would take big (frozen) brass balls, imo. People do it though. Seems to be a popular car in Norway too.I like the car. I wish it wasn't so goofy looking but whatever.Yeah. Leaf is straight up gorgeous car, but it doesn't have ones range of a Kona. It's almost half that. That's weird. I presume the next generation is gonna have a bigger millage. But Leaf is just a beautiful car.

I'm looking for a plug-in hybrid, probably a sedan or at least with good trunk space because we gotta deliver paintings on a regular basis. I would go full electric, but none of the models have enough range to be able to get me to the parents or the in-laws or the long work-related drives I gotta do pretty often, and the long recharging times make those drives really impractical for an electric. Charging times are supposed to improve soon*, but my car has 228,000 miles on it and I need a new car sooner than that But I could get around town and to the office and back without burning gas at least. I was thinking a Chevy Volt though I've seen those listed as compact and I really need to be able to fit at least a 3' x 3' painting in the trunk dammit.*A place I visited for work recently makes components for electric cars, and they're predicting with the advances in silicon carbide technology we can expect charging times to reduce from 4+ hours to ~20 minutes within 3-5 years. No idea if that's overly optimistic or not.

The Volt is a hatchback with rear seats that fold flat. I can fit my bass rig in there, no problem. 3x3 is nothing.The leg room in the back sucks, and the Gen 1 Volt can only seat two in the back because of the battery hump. Other than that, it's the best car I've ever owned. GM over-engineered the hell out of that car, which is why they lost money on every one they sold. The interiors feel cheap on the second gen (2016+), but the improvements to battery range and acceleration make up for that. I highly recommend the Volt.

Pure L wrote:I drive a 2015 Nissan Leaf. One thing to think about is that turning on the heat significantly reduces one's range. I nearly max out my range most days of the week so things get a bit chilly during the winter. And it doesn't really get that cold here so driving one in, say, the midwest would take big (frozen) brass balls, imo. People do it though. Seems to be a popular car in Norway too.I like the car. I wish it wasn't so goofy looking but whatever.Heated seats and heated steering wheel though. Figured I'd add that.So it's not totally horrible or anything. It's actually really nice not to go to the gas station too.

Pure L wrote:Pure L wrote:I drive a 2015 Nissan Leaf. One thing to think about is that turning on the heat significantly reduces one's range. I nearly max out my range most days of the week so things get a bit chilly during the winter. And it doesn't really get that cold here so driving one in, say, the midwest would take big (frozen) brass balls, imo. People do it though. Seems to be a popular car in Norway too.I like the car. I wish it wasn't so goofy looking but whatever.Heated seats and heated steering wheel though. Figured I'd add that.So it's not totally horrible or anything. It's actually really nice not to go to the gas station too.My wife just bought a 2017 Leaf. I am already in love with it. One thing people do is heat it up before they unplug, apparently. We haven't had it in cold weather yet, so I can't say how feasible that's going to be.