Hoping to get some advice on touring

Well, now I know that dickmittens are an actual thing. This thread delivers.I am digging all the good advice, thank you guys. We are both at that age where we just love playing music together and don't have expectations that we're gonna be famous or rich doing it. But if we can make the touring at least economically feasible it'll let us keep doing it, which is something we'd love to be able to do.

noise&light wrote:I've checked the threads linked to in this one. And there's already related advice in here, but I'm going to ask anyway.Knowing that I don't want to over-pack and don't want to be without critical supplies, What should I bring on tour with me?So far I've got:sleeping bagpillow (or pillowcase filled with clothes to save on space)first aid kitvitamins and prescriptions quick dry camping towelearphones for quiet timesluggage tags for everythingtravel soap to quickly wash things in sinks (https://us.soakwash.com/collections/tra ... k-assorted)non-perishable snacks like jerky, nuts, granola barswater bottlesunscreensunglassesregular glassesphone chargersbackup phone battery chargercomplete itinerary with information that Faiz listed abovefull contact information for everyone in the band, including contact information for their familycomplete list of equipment on tour with serial numberstour insuranceroad atlasroll of toilet paperWhat am I forgetting?Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on everything. I'd add:-a light, packable rain jacket. I have one that folds up into a tiny little ball and it rules.-binder clips. Insanely useful and take up almost no room. I always throw a few in my bag. In a van I've used them to ease up the tension on neck-knifey seat belts, hang up a shirt/towel in a passenger window when the sun is kicking my ass for hours on end, gather up earbud cords, etc.-witch hazel wipes. The ones that look like moist towelettes. Like a magic little pocket shower.-Sharpie and a good ballpoint pen. -Something to amuse yourself that packs well. Don't bring a bunch of books- they're heavy and I promise you won't read them all (ok, maybe one book). I like crosswords and they're great at killing downtime, so I always print out 20 or so to bring along.Do you have a smart phone? If so, your gps will be better and likely more updated than any road atlas, which I wouldn't bother bringing. Additionally, I always download the maps to every city directly to my phone, for offline access, so I'm not dependent on wifi when I need them. Great for walking around once you get to a venue and have time to kill.Bring less clothes than you think you'll need. I mean way, way less. I am constantly learning this lesson. Ear plugs are good for shows, of course, but you will also find out who snores and want to kill them dead right where they sleep.You mentioned a water bottle, and I highly recommend this Platypus kind. Feels indestructible, never leaks, and folds away into nothing.noise&light wrote:complete list of equipment on tour with serial numbersAlso, take pictures of all of your equipment. Get close-ups of the serial #s. Scan or take pics of your ID (and passport if traveling overseas) and any other important documents that could possibly get lost.What I've done is, I take all these things, create a new throwaway email account (using this for sensitive info, so be smart and pick a complex but easy to remember username and password that you have never used for anything else), and then send the whole lot to the account. Overkill maybe, but it's free and you'll have an accessible-from-anywhere, "it's better than nothing" backup of all that stuff. After tour you can just delete everything and shut down the account.noise&light wrote:Also, small suitcase or soft bag? I think I know the answer already, but just checking.The expandable, bookbag-style suitcases you can get now are amazing and I can't believe I ever messed around with a thing on wheels with an extender handle. Never again. I have an Osprey Porter 46 and love it (kinda wish I had gotten the 30, though). One of the best travel bags I've ever used.Man, I can't believe it took me years (YEARS) to get a quick-dry travel towel... So dumb.Good luck, friend.

I know some of you have watched The Bismarck tour videos...I'm unsure if those give us a level of credibility, or the exact opposite.We travel extremely light, have a number of little tricks, and generally emerge safe and sound.-Bring clothes you hate or are badly worn- throw them away instead of washing them.-our Garman Nuvi GPS has been very reliable- bought it in 2012, has gotten us across the US and europe, does not require data or cell service-pare down your gear- don't travel with dumb, overly heavy stuff. You're getting old, and will have to carry it a half-dozen times every night. -either someone sleeps in the vehicle or you take your stuff in every night- no exceptions.-When doing daytime tourist stuff, park as close to the main drag/police presence as possible. -tools are generally over-rated. A leatherman, string winder, drum key and screwdriver will more or less do it for you. -Bring a spare pair of glasses. Ask me how I know.-Everyone packs their clothes in a soft backpack or duffel, so it can me mashed into a corner/under a seat. Hard luggage is awful.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.