Little tech questions from your day

weezy wrote:I was going to post this in the craigslist brag thread but I got neck issues.I got this super clean mid '70s jazz bass for cheap because the neck was screwed up - broken truss rod and a little bowed. I took it to a good/experienced luthier and at first he thought it was going to be a matter of simply adding some washers, a new bullet and call it a day. Today he told me that it would need to be totally rebuilt/re-machined/etc, and he won't even do it because there's not enough meat on the neck as it is. He said he doesn't do heat treating anymore because eventually the neck reverts (it has a memory?).....I would still like to try salvaging it, somebody's aunt played this very little, and it came with the PU covers, case, etc. It looks like it's barely been played.Should I try sending it to warpedneck.com? Or should I just spend a few hundred on a new neck, or just part out everything else?I assume there's a skunk stripe on the back of the neck that would need to come out in order to replace that truss rod?

I was going to post this in the craigslist brag thread but I got neck issues.I got this super clean mid '70s jazz bass for cheap because the neck was screwed up - broken truss rod and a little bowed. I took it to a good/experienced luthier and at first he thought it was going to be a matter of simply adding some washers, a new bullet and call it a day. Today he told me that it would need to be totally rebuilt/re-machined/etc, and he won't even do it because there's not enough meat on the neck as it is. He said he doesn't do heat treating anymore because eventually the neck reverts (it has a memory?).....I would still like to try salvaging it, somebody's aunt played this very little, and it came with the PU covers, case, etc. It looks like it's barely been played.Should I try sending it to warpedneck.com? Or should I just spend a few hundred on a new neck, or just part out everything else?

The problem is the inner area at the heel of the neck at the truss rod got compacted/trashed enough that it won't adjust the relief anymore, it was cranked too much. Thus the cracked fretboard between the nut and first fret. Dude could fix it, but after scraping off all the poly, then leveling, etc, and possibly doing a re-fret, the bill would be more than I spent on the whole bass. As it stands right now, the relief is not super awful, in fact it's not too far off from where I usually set it, and I don't usually set my action super low either. I'm going to try throwing on some .95 strings later tonight just to see how it is.

Not a question, just a complaint that I had to put somewhere.I sent my Tascam 488mkII off to Russ at NJ Factory Service on Monday. He just called me to say it got really fucked up in shipping. The thing was practically mint when I sent it off.It's my own fault. I shipped it FedEx through my work, we have a pick up every afternoon and send tons of stuff out every day with virtually no issues. I thought I packed it really well. I should have done extra insurance and such, but I did not. Russ said since I used my own packaging, etc., he highly doubts any claim would be honored anyway. And for him to open it up and assess the damage, that would essentially void a claim cuz an investigator would have to get to it first.Ugh. Fuck it. I asked him to dive in and see what can be done. He's going to let me know if it's fixable by Monday. I was so excited to have it back to %100...now I'm just hoping I don't end up out a deposit AND shipping AND my 8 track. Lesson learned.