Re: What Video Games Are You Playing?

'Devil Engine' on the Switch is a horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up that I play lamentably poorly, but with joy. Sound and visuals are bang on, which makes the fact that the guys responsible for that are threatening to sue the programmer. Oh dear.

Also picked up '1943' for free as part of the Capcom Arcade. I enjoy being awful at that too.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

My other fierce infatuation was with 'Bangai-O Spirits', which I bought along with a used DS on whim a couple of years ago after reading a convincing rave on it, before ignoring it after getting confused by a tutorial level. God's rod, this is a mad gem of a game. It is ingenious, every level accessible from the start, most with some puzzle or gimmick that's fun to work out and glorious to watch. One of the few games that has a replay option that I treasure, it uses jank and glitch as a mechanic. Even the in-game tutorial characters refer to it. Here's some shaky iPhone footage of a level playfully breaking the machine:

Up with 'Hades' as one of the best games I played last year. One of the best ever, maybe, when I'm in the mood for ecstatic mayhem.

Its odd and silly humour is charming, and this half-hearted nod to an ending screen brought a chuckle for the wrong reason:

Omg that looks so good. Here's to hoping it gets ported to something other than the DS some day. Doesn't seem likely just by that short vid.

I am broke so I am going through game pass games and old things I have purchased and never really enjoyed. Assassins Creed Odyssey is such junk. I feel sorry for everyone who clearly invested a lot of time and money into this game. How can something so bloated and full be so...boring and shallow. I might persist and see if it gets any better but this is the second time I've given it a go and ugh.

On a whim I started playing Snow Runner last night. What a game! How does this work so well?? I only got an hour in and I'm super excited to get back to it later tonight. I hate cars and trucks and stuff! This game rules!

Haydon wrote:Omg that looks so good. Here's to hoping it gets ported to something other than the DS some day. Doesn't seem likely just by that short vid.
Yes, I think the unique way that certain levels play on the DS might be fussy to emulate. Most levels don't have much stutter, but when it happens the joy is in knowing that the game is trying to force more on screen than it is supposed to, battling its very medium. If a port tried to replicate that on a more powerful system, I imagine it would become an annoying pretension.

I'd like to play 'Snowrunner'. I fear it would end up on my pile of good intentions.