Nasty dumbshit outboard effects

Trying to round out a rack of outboard with a modulation or multi-effect unit. Initially I was thinking of a Yamaha SPX model, but even that might be too nice for what I'm looking for. I already have plugins that can do the 2020s version of that kind of thing if it's needed (very rarely). I'm trying to think of stranger and worse stuff.

The Zoom 1201 looks good to me. Ring modulator and vocoder, very cheap.

Friend of mine just picked up a Lexicon Alex. That seems weird enough for consideration too.

Would love to hear about others in that vein
active things: Belonging, These Estates, Spruce Island

Re: Nasty dumbshit outboard effects

Yeah, Quadraverbs can be fun especially for synth. They make a Guitar flavor as well with a bunch of nasty distortions in there. Really cheap. Those old Boss half rack effects form the 80's are fun too. They used to be really cheap but I bet they are climbing up. Radio Shack Reverb is stupid and fun and can be racked on a shelf. The first Gen Line 6 POD Pros are probably really cheap, and though I never liked them for guitar much they can be used to crunch up synths and drum machines to good measure. All those Ibanez and Korg Rackmount guitar Delays are cool. Digital ones are nasty fun, analog versions are great analog delays. The Ibanez 4 FX multi effects are coo too. The gold ones.

OH! And all those Electrix Midi controlled FX from the 90's. All of them are cool. Filter Factory, Warp Factory, and Mo-Fx.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Kniferide wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:18 pm Yeah, Quadraverbs can be fun especially for synth. They make a Guitar flavor as well with a bunch of nasty distortions in there. Really cheap. Those old Boss half rack effects form the 80's are fun too. They used to be really cheap but I bet they are climbing up. Radio Shack Reverb is stupid and fun and can be racked on a shelf. The first Gen Line 6 POD Pros are probably really cheap, and though I never liked them for guitar much they can be used to crunch up synths and drum machines to good measure. All those Ibanez and Korg Rackmount guitar Delays are cool. Digital ones are nasty fun, analog versions are great analog delays. The Ibanez 4 FX multi effects are coo too. The gold ones.

OH! And all those Electrix Midi controlled FX from the 90's. All of them are cool. Filter Factory, Warp Factory, and Mo-Fx.
Whoa yeah, good call on the Electrix stuff! I borrowed a MO-FX from a friend for a mix job I had and it was FUN.

Since you mentioned Ibanez and Korg stuff - I still get good use out my Ibanez HD1000 and Korg DRV1000.
DIY and die anyway.

Bought an Spx 2000 for around $500 but maybe thats more expensive for what you are going for. I have had a micro verb, i think thats what it's called. I think they are around $100. I have a Boss VF-1? It's red. That has all sorts of crazy shit on there and the programs can be changed via MIDI. You might be able to change the effect settings with CC messages, I never tried. The menu is very forgiving. You could gent a boss DD-5. They are stereo, shouldn't be that much. Yes, those Electrix effects are really cool and when I see one for sale I regret not getting them when they where way cheaper.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."