Personal memories from the old forum

I remember when I first joined the forum, I would see a lot of quoted posts with the original slightly changed for comedic effect. These were accompanied by the comment "FYP". As much as I looked, I couldn't figure out what "FYP" meant - so I responded to one of them and asked "What does FYP mean?" Someone - and I believe it was Russ - responded "For your pleasure".

Months - maybe a year goes by and I see another newbie forum member asks the same question "What does FYP mean?". I remember jumping at the chance to clarify and responded "For your pleasure". It was slightly after that I found Russ was pulling my leg - and that's how I learned what "Fixed your post" meant.

Re: Personal memories from the old forum

- I read through most of that god awful, embarrassing, shitshow of a C/NC thread called "Belief: Feminism" that made me glad "the old days" and lots of old regulars who fucked off were well behind us
- I read through the not as embarrassing, but still C/NC thread titled "Laughable Cultural Promotion: Video Games as Art" that fortunately had several members including the person who started the thread eventually have a change of heart years later
- the C/NC: Alex Jones thread that had an alarming amount of NC votes and posts, most, if not all of which were made pre-2010 or so, still, what the fuck PRF?

Sorry to be a debbie downer, I loved the old place and have far more great memories than bad ones, but there ya go. Out with the old, in with the new!

Two things I recall, although I have lost the details and that pisses me off no end.

1) Somebody posted an old disco track in a 'great basslines' thread (thought it was FM RS Murphy but he doesn't recall), and fucking hell it was so, so good. I wish I could recall that track;

2) In one of the drum threads somebody (maybe FM DFTR?) dipped into a discussion on groove versus swing with an excellent description of what makes the two different. I can't for the life of me remember it though.
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 am 1) Somebody posted an old disco track in a 'great basslines' thread (thought it was FM RS Murphy but he doesn't recall), and fucking hell it was so, so good. I wish I could recall that track;
it wasn't me, and I don't remember the post, but "amazing bass line in a disco song" could very well be any number of songs by Chic.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 am1) Somebody posted an old disco track in a 'great basslines' thread (thought it was FM RS Murphy but he doesn't recall), and fucking hell it was so, so good. I wish I could recall that track;
This is probably not the one because it's not exactly "fucking hell so good", it's just nice, and I don't enjoy the song as a whole, I just thought when hearing it that I could listen to it for the bassline. That was the most "producer" moment I've ever had.
born to give

Way early on there were a load of nonsensical shitpost threads titled things like "Frank Zappa assuredly trapped in my balls" or "Oh huckjams!" and they included some consistently hilarious stream-of-consciousness silliness from guys like FM Vinz Clortho or TheSwede. At some point the kibosh was put on these shitpost threads but I always found them delightful. This was also around the time that FM WalterMalling was trolling us all, brilliantly.
IfIHadAHiFi
Body Futures