Re: Favorite band / artist in the 21st century so far

kmc wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 pm Neko Case is high up on my list
+1. Thought of her immediately after hitting submit.
biscuitdough wrote: Not saying you can't like it. It kills the appeal for me, though.
Understandable, for sure. As I wrote over in the "Artist's Behavior" thread, I tend to draw the line when the assholery manifests in the music in a way that requires the listener to buy in, or vitiates what would otherwise be ideologically appealing content. With DsO, it's also the fact that I'd been a fan for years before there was any publicly available info about the members whatsoever. Approaching an unfamiliar band armed with that kind of knowledge is perhaps a bit different.
biscuitdough wrote: Edit: man, that interview is a blast from the past. Nachtmystium's orchestra of delay pedals... album of the year?!
Now there's a band I never could get into. Dude's assholery just reinforced it.

Isadore Nabi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:52 pm
kmc wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 pm Neko Case is high up on my list
+1. Thought of her immediately after hitting submit.
As with Nina Nastasia and Ludicra, somehow I mentally assumed they all had records in the 90s and were disqualified, but look who feels like a chump now.
Every road trip we take ends with listening to Fox Confessor on the way back.
(Every road trip begins with listening to Jailbreak.)

Magnolia Electric CO, Sumac, Liars, My Disco, MONO, Daughters, Earth, SUNN, The New Year, Superwolf, Boris….

Some of the 90’s holdovers still making great records though - Sleep, Low, Neurosis, Breeders, Stereolab…Lots of others.

And if you never listened to Unwound or Bedhead, you can get the Numero reissues last I checked.

Matador is re-releasing Bailter Space’s Wammo, a criminally under-appreciated band in their time and now.

brephophagist wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:50 pm As with Nina Nastasia and Ludicra, somehow I mentally assumed they all had records in the 90s and were disqualified, but look who feels like a chump now.
It's technically true in the Neko (uh) case -- The Virginian was 1997 -- but I took the "started to become known after the year 2000" liberally. Still a little uncomfortable to realize how many of my 21st-century faves somehow feel to me like they're really from the '90s.