Re: Streaming Netflix/Hulu/etc. - what's good lately?

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:19 am
Anonymous37 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:02 pm amc+
Kevin Can Fuck Himself -- the first two episodes are free on YouTube.
Is it worth it? Watched the first one and it didn't feel like it would have legs.
Yeah, I would argue it is. I've seen the first three episodes, and it is dark, dark, dark. The "sitcom" scenes are a pitch-perfect parody of fare like The King of Queens and Kevin Can Wait (the inspiration for this show). The "drama" scenes are engaging.

Anonymous37 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:50 am Yeah, I would argue it is. I've seen the first three episodes, and it is dark, dark, dark. The "sitcom" scenes are a pitch-perfect parody of fare like The King of Queens and Kevin Can Wait (the inspiration for this show). The "drama" scenes are engaging.
I'll stick with the next few then, thanks. I found that whole 'sitcom' vs 'gritty' aesthetic switch-up tiresome early on - I think it's a good idea but not exploited as well as it needs to be. Shall see.
at war with bellends

The Criterion Channel just put up a collection of neo-noir movies:
Cotton Comes to Harlem
Across 110th Street
The Long Goodbye
Chinatown
Night Moves
Farewell, My Lovely
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
The American Friend
The Big Sleep
Eyes of Laura Mars
The Onion Field
Body Heat
Blow Out
Cutter’s Way
Blood Simple
Body Double
The Hit
Trouble in Mind
Manhunter
Mona Lisa
The Bedroom Window
Homicide
Swoon

Anonymous37 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:28 pm Netflix
Season 2 of I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson
Man I did not get the big deal about this show the first time around but think I 'get' it now. Not every idea works but every now and then something so ridiculously silly lands perfectly. Also, while the guest comedians/actors are usually not as funny as Tim I appreciate the wide range of people who step in.
Music

Ok, gonna be vulnerable here and admit that we've been enjoying the Loki series. I've missed fun, dumb popcorn entertainment over the last year and a half. I used to take a day off a few times a year to go sit in a movie theater see whatever latest installment of Alien / Predator / Terminator garbage they were cramming down our throats, while also literally cramming popcorn and other garbage down my throat.

Loki isn't totally dumb, there is thought behind it, but I'm enjoying the spectacle with a sense of humor (reminds me a bit of the Taikia Waititi Thor movie in that way.)

I also watched False Positive, (Ilana Glazer pregnancy horror movie) on Hulu and it was pretty good.
https://grassjaw.bandcamp.com/
https://eighteenhundredandfrozetodeath.bandcamp.com/
https://www.landspeedrecording.com/
FKA - the finger genius
Wowza in Kalamazoo wrote: ...the noise of divorce...