Re: Streaming Netflix/Hulu/etc. - what's good lately?

Frankie99 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:54 pm Stranger Things is what it’s supposed to be - fun and nostalgic. It does it’s job well. My 11 YO is enamored with it, so that helps make it fun as well.
It was a big hit in our house as well, especially for the kids as they watched dad geek out at the D&D scenes and references. "Hey, I did that!" *eyeroll*

Damn, Letterkenny is the song of my people.

jason from volo wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:45 am Not sure if this has been mentioned yet on this thread (I am on my mobile phone and don’t have search function) but I just watched this whole series on my flight to Korea:

SEDUCED: INSIDE THE NXIVM CULT

This world has some fucked up, evil people.
I'm so fascinated (and saddened) by cults. Everyuone who joins a cult, who ends up in a documentary anyway, seems like a drama queen (male or female) and lonely. Every documentary about a cult is like study in loneliness.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Count Me In on Netflix is a perverse drummer hate watch if you're up for wasting 80 minutes. Props for covering more female drummers than similar documentaries, but otherwise full of the same Boomer cliches you've been hearing about in guitar/drum magazines for decades (though now thinking about it: zero mention of Neil Peart..). There's even a bit about Linn Drums 'replacing' drummers and "the human element". In 2021!

Mostly it serves as a valuable reminder that Taylor Hawkins and Chad Smith are absolute imbeciles, and Stephen Perkins isn't too far behind.
Music

penningtron wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 am Mostly it serves as a valuable reminder that Taylor Hawkins and Chad Smith are absolute imbeciles, and Stephen Perkins isn't too far behind.
Not sure if I'll go in for that, or not. On the one hand, you probably have to have Taylor Hawkins if you're making a doc on modern drumming, but they should radically cut his dialogue to the bare minimum. Also any documentary on modern drumming that doesn't include Glenn Kotche is probably not made by anyone paying attention to much aside from Billboard Top whatever drummers. I'd also like to see people like Janet Weiss, or the dudes from Hum (RIP), Failure, Converge and Shiner in the mix as folks with distinctive styles and exceptional skill.