Re: Catch-all travel thread

I enjoyed the Tetons even more than Yellowstone. At Yellowstone the crowds are overwhelming in the front country, and the backcountry is vast without the exquisite views and vantage points you get at the Tetons.

The Tetons had spectacular day hiking that was just a short hop in from a trailhead, and much less crowded - at least less crowded with frontcountry people.

I would like to get back to Yellowstone country to hike the trails in the Beartooth/Absaroka Wilderness though. That looks amazing.

Geiginni wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:32 am I enjoyed the Tetons even more than Yellowstone. At Yellowstone the crowds are overwhelming in the front country, and the backcountry is vast without the exquisite views and vantage points you get at the Tetons.

The Tetons had spectacular day hiking that was just a short hop in from a trailhead, and much less crowded - at least less crowded with frontcountry people.

I would like to get back to Yellowstone country to hike the trails in the Beartooth/Absaroka Wilderness though. That looks amazing.
My wife and I have an attitude about national parks that's like "if you're willing to walk 30 minutes, you'll lose 95% of the crowds"

Tetons sound amazing. Definitely on my list.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

twelvepoint wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:32 pm My wife and I have an attitude about national parks that's like "if you're willing to walk 30 minutes, you'll lose 95% of the crowds"
This is good advice.

Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, Olympic NP is the only national park I visit regularly. Part of the reason is it's enormous, 95% backcountry, and usually easy to get permits for ad-hoc.

There are so many amazeballs Wilderness areas in USFS and BLM lands that one doesn't need to just go to a national park to be blown away by the scenery and wildlife. I've been awed by backcountry in the Wallowas, Three Sisters, Goat Rocks, Alpine Lakes, Glacier Peak...the list goes on. Even Mt. Hood is National Park quality wilderness and scenery. The Timberline/Round-the-Mountain trail is nothing to sneeze at, covers incredible biomes and doesn't require waiting months to years to get a permit for like Wonderland at Rainier.

Next year will definitely include some backpacking in North Cascades NP. I'm itching to do the Boston Basin/Mt. Sahalie area. Though NCNP is pretty much no front country whatsoever - like Kings Canyon NP.

Frankie99 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:16 pm
twelvepoint wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 am Charleston has a great dining scene. I used to work for a place that had its home office there, so I'd try and have a decent meal whenever I visited. Fleet Landing, Mccradys, The Ordinary are all really good and there are like 4 other places I can't recall right now. Really wanted to go to FIG and Husk but reservations always required a little more lead time than I had.

That whole southern peninsula is a really nice place to walk around, especially in the evening. Mt Pleasant area seems to have more stuff going on these days too.
Yeah, we also had husk on our list and couldn’t get in. Fig was truly memorable, though - braised short ribs over house ground grits…..the dessert was a chocolate soufflé that would normally not tempt me, but goddam it was outta sight.
Awesome, thanks for all yall's recommendations, we'll check these out. Glad to hear that there are some nice walkable areas.

tommy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:48 am Going to Madrid and Barcelona in a couple of weeks. Who's got recommendations for things to do and places to eat and drink? I'm a pescatarian, so I'm especially interested in any food finds that aren't land/air animals (I hear Spain is a very meaty place to dine).
Oh let me dig up the name of the AWESOME beer place we found in Barcelona.

EDIT: It's this place. Really great farm fresh stuff. Can't remember if we ate food there but lots of vegetarian options from what I remember: https://cyclicbeerfarm.com/

Otherwise pretty much all my food recommendations involve eating lots of sliced ham and drinking lots of wine.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Nov. 5th and 6th Boston!

I am travelling to Boston next weekend with my younger son to look at colleges (BC, BU, NE). I lived in Boston from 1983-85 then 1988-95. I was back about 6 years ago for a hot minute and learned that everything has changed. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Mary Chung's for lunch/dinner (I have been missing DunDun Noodles). I know there is a rock show on Friday night (our free night) but I am not so into Titus Andronicus. Any local shows? too bad Black Helicopter was this past weekend, that would have been awesome. Is In Your Ear still worth a trip?

tommy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:48 am Going to Madrid and Barcelona in a couple of weeks. Who's got recommendations for things to do and places to eat and drink? I'm a pescatarian, so I'm especially interested in any food finds that aren't land/air animals (I hear Spain is a very meaty place to dine).
I stayed in Vila de Gràcia when I was in Barcelona - really nice local quarter north of the tourist-trap centre. El Glop in the neighbourhood has fantastic Paella. You should visit the bunkers at sunset some night for a beautiful view of the city.
The day trip to Montserrat is absolutely worth it, particularly if you hike to the top of the mountain (there's an easy, casual trail that takes a couple of hours and the view is stunning).

tommy wrote: Going to Madrid and Barcelona in a couple of weeks. Who's got recommendations for things to do and places to eat and drink? I'm a pescatarian, so I'm especially interested in any food finds that aren't land/air animals (I hear Spain is a very meaty place to dine).
You'll do fine as a pescatarian if you like to eat stuff like squid, sardines, dried tuna (mojama), and octopus. Madrid dining recommendations, as of 2019, w/that in mind:

Bendito (cheap and tiny natural-wine bar that still upholds the free tapa tradition, located in the Mercado de San Fernando in Lavapiés)
Angelita (not cheap, but excellent new-school tapas downstairs in the wine bar; very central)
La Campana (right off the supertouristy Plaza Mayor but great for a beer and an inexpensive fried-squid sandwich at lunch)
Asturianos (in Chamberí, out of the immediate center, but excellent and hearty Asturian food, including memorable sardines or shellfish stewed w/beans)
La Venencia (deeply historic sherry bar that might look touristy but is actually just insanely great; an institution that is worth your time)
Maitia (practically a one-woman show; delicious fine-dining restaurant way out of touristland, in Chamartín)

I haven't been to Barcelona since 2008, so anything I could discuss would be out of date. Gràcia was certainly a cool neighborhood back then, although it's certainly popular now. More central, if you like natural wine and don't mind dropping a little coin, go to Bar Brutal (adjacent to Can Cisa wine shop). I've never been here, but many of the chefs and somms I know really dig the place.