Re: How we make experimental noise

Garth wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:21 pm
Verge of Light wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:21 pm If you're trying to "noise" on a budget...

You can do a ton with simple stuff like: a cheap microphone, cassette decks and/or walkman, a cheap mixer, and scrap metal.
Adding an unused guitar pickup wired to an output jack to this list.
wire up the play head from an old cassette tape deck to a TS plug and use it to "scratch" anything with a mag strip or as a sensor for EMF in electronics... through a delay pedal or whatever.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Verge of Light wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:31 pm I've been meaning to share this for a while. This guy has a ton of interesting videos. This one would probably be a good place to start...

Been watching some of his posts since you posted this. Guess my TR style drum machine set to one step was already thought of.

I find Xanax works well for experimental noise.

Edit: Wait I just thought of one more. Distortion pedal into a delay pedal. Also unoriginal concept.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Mickey242 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:04 pm
Verge of Light wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:31 pm I've been meaning to share this for a while. This guy has a ton of interesting videos. This one would probably be a good place to start...
Been watching some of his posts since you posted this. Guess my TR style drum machine set to one step was already thought of.

Edit: Wait I just thought of one more. Distortion pedal into a delay pedal. Also unoriginal concept.
I've only watched a couple of his vids, but if I ever need inspiration, that's where I'll go (and this thread).

I could see Xanax working. Ha ha.

I have to say I never tried a distortion pedal with no input source into a delay pedal. Not a bad idea!

Similar-ish I used to plug the output of an amp into a chain of pedals and then back into the amp. Makes crazy sounds. I used one of those 1/4" splitters from Radio Shack to direct record it. Richard / Black Leather Jesus told me about that one ages ago.
Quitter / Canady tape and digital out now.

The Koma Effects stuff is great. I really want the field kit fx, but I just can't justify the coin on music stuff right now, especially when there are a dozen things I'm drawn to. One of which is the Bastl Micro Granny. Also, you can get a used Moog Werkstatt for a reasonable price. Seems like a good first synth.

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=" style="font-size: 10px; color: #cccccc;line-break: anywhere;word-break: normal;overflow: hidden;white-space: nowrap;text-overflow: ellipsis; font-family: Interstate,Lucida Grande,Lucida Sans Unicode,Lucida Sans,Garuda,Verdana,Tahoma,sans-serif;font-weight: 100;"><a href="https://soundcloud.com/bastl-instruments" title="Bastl" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">Bastl</a> · <a href="" title="microGranny 2.0 - crush on e-piano" target="_blank" style="color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none;">microGranny 2.0 - crush on e-piano</a></div>

Verge of Light wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:56 pm

I've only watched a couple of his vids, but if I ever need inspiration, that's where I'll go (and this thread).

I could see Xanax working. Ha ha.

I have to say I never tried a distortion pedal with no input source into a delay pedal. Not a bad idea!

Similar-ish I used to plug the output of an amp into a chain of pedals and then back into the amp. Makes crazy sounds. I used one of those 1/4" splitters from Radio Shack to direct record it. Richard / Black Leather Jesus told me about that one ages ago.
Oh, I mean you run signal into the pedals of course. You should put a ring mod in there too for good measure LOL
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

I made a February Album Writing Month -album using only Audacity's in-built features, like tone and noise generators. I took the challenge of exploring binaural beats and making drum sounds from white noise.

I've recently done some stuff using a crappy but this time physical saw wave / white noise -generator. I run it into a filter/LFO made from Korg Monotron Delay's filter section and some effects. Ibanez PM-7 really shines here.

A good VST I sometimes use is Vital, a free wavetable synth.

I usually try and think what I am experimenting on. Noise for noises sake is fun, but it doesn't give me much in the long run.

I wasn’t playing much guitar for a few years, but I was using my iphone voice memos to record anything cool I heard walking around. Construction, sawing, machines, motors, birds, frogs, wind, water. Moog makes a phone app called “Filtatron,” which adds varispeed, looping and sound manipulation to field recordings. That one has been useful for collecting samples of tv and things around the house. I can build a pretty dense track layering a few of these recordings and playing a single instrument over top. It sounds like horror movie music.