The Circle Guitar

Crap
Total votes: 4 (50%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 4 (50%)
Total votes: 8

Re: Instrument: The Circle Guitar (with built in sequencer)

Better sounding demo than I would have expected, almost sounded Bauhaus-y. It does seem like it could slash up your wrist though.
losthighway wrote: Am I right in thinking the pulse/tempo is fixed and mechanical based on the speed of revolutions of the circle?

That kind of precise, fixed rhythm is annoying to me because it takes away half of what you do when you play music with other humans, i.e. fell, respond, adjust.

It would be like everyone is jamming to a click track, and the click track is the guitar player.
Sure, but so much modern music is already doing that. At least this isn't some cheesy synth pad/Ableton setup that every band seems to use now.
Music

twelvepoint wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:48 am It sounds like there are picks along the wheel that can hit selected strings? Which would be an accomplishment when the wheel is spinning that fast.
I thought that initially, but he's either finger-muting strings, or using the humbucker selectively. He presses one of the buttons to mute the other strings, or can switch strings off.

Something like that anyway. You can see a few more videos here https://www.youtube.com/c/AnthonyDickensInventor

Add in a Leslie speaker and the guy has a farm accident waiting to happen.

pldms wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:22 am
twelvepoint wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:48 am It sounds like there are picks along the wheel that can hit selected strings? Which would be an accomplishment when the wheel is spinning that fast.
I thought that initially, but he's either finger-muting strings, or using the humbucker selectively. He presses one of the buttons to mute the other strings, or can switch strings off.

Something like that anyway. You can see a few more videos here https://www.youtube.com/c/AnthonyDickensInventor

Or an Eastern European lathe.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

pldms wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:22 am

literal LOL with the farm accident comment.

I'm gonna still say this is a reasonably cool instrument, albeit not the most versatile.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com