Re: Movies you have watched thread.

tallchris wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:07 pm Watched DRIVE MY CAR last night and it absolutely wrecked me.

I haven't read the Murakami source work, but the closest thing I could really compare it to is PARIS, TEXAS.

Well worth the three hours, and it really flew right by. Streaming on HBO Max right now--since its a Janus distributed release I'm sure it'll be out on the Criterion Collection eventually (and likely streaming on their channel at some point).
Saw this. It's good yeah. I haven't read the book/short story, but my wife is a huge Murakami fan. Me not so much but I enjoyed this. She doesn't recall them spending so much time on Chekov. Made me want to dust off my book of Chekov's plays. I love Chekov.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

Wood Goblin wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:15 amThe Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (couldn’t finish this one—hated it, despite loving a number of other Pressburger-Powell movies)
Remember watching this with my family years ago, over the holidays, and finding it weirdly irritating, especially by Archers standards (the Archers are ULTRA NOT CRAP!). It was a blustery, Lord Wigglesbottomsy movie, overlong and not well paced, that just didn't work for me from the get-go. I mostly sat through the whole thing because it was hard to imagine willfully plopping down in front of it again.

Drive My Car...have been meaning to see that one for a while. Following Cannes/Berlinale/etc. coverage it's often the case that everyone's already raved about a film/it's cycled through various phases of discourse/etc. well before I get to see it. Will rent it soon. In the plus column is that Hamaguchi's a fan of Casque D'or and Jean Grémillon films ( https://www.criterion.com/current/top-1 ... i-s-top-10 ) - a good place to be. Some of his previous work is on the Channel, but I haven't seen that either.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

stumbled on a great combination.

Watch 14 Peaks on Netflix for an incredibly shot, tragically overlooked achievement by a determined team of Nepalese climbers who scale the 14 highest mountain peaks in the world and crush the previous record for time by 20x. They seek to cement climbers in Nepal as the athletes they are, instead of just 'the sherpas', helping westerners get up Everest. They do this all while saving climbers, partying, and seemingly having a great time with each other.

Then put on Metallica Some Kind of Monster for the absolute, definitive, polar opposite.

By the end you'll be sure Nims and his team could've made a better thrash record

Can confirm that the new Le Cercle Rouge transfer is...pretty, pretty, pretty good. Started watching it last week but got a headache, so I'll need to restart it soon. Recently I saw The Asphalt Jungle for the first time (a big influence on it), and while strong, I think I still prefer Le Cercle Rouge. The latter's use of artifice/at-times-flagrant lack of "realism" works in its favor, in a way.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:52 am stumbled on a great combination.

Watch 14 Peaks on Netflix for an incredibly shot, tragically overlooked achievement by a determined team of Nepalese climbers who scale the 14 highest mountain peaks in the world and crush the previous record for time by 20x.
Thanks for this rec! I watched it while eating a microwaved fried chicken sandwich that I bought with money made at my work from home job and they still made me feel like I could climb K2 if I really wanted to.
Mooner | Gerund | The Ugly Bishops | Solo