Wet Leg: worthy of the hype?

TOTALLY WORTHY!
Total votes: 18 (62%)
UNWORTHY!
Total votes: 11 (38%)
Total votes: 29

Re: New Band: Wet Leg

speedie wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:15 am IS YOUR MUFFIN BUTTERED?
Taken from Mean Girls , for anyone who didn't realise. I'm told it's rude.

Aging journalists hyping their late 80s / early 90s sound is nostalgic crap. But I've had Angelica stuck in my head for weeks, undoubtedly because it has that MBV-ish bit, so I'm just a hypocrite.

DrAwkward wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:58 pm I haven't heard Dry Cleaning yet, but between them and Wet Leg, holy fuck is the band name well dry.
Dry Cleaning is great, but I think more different than others are hinting at. DC has a much darker feel & overall vibe & no singing in any of the tracks I've heard. Wet Leg kinda pulled me in with the hooks and of course the reference to FM Vincent Gallo's film on their song Wet Dream.

The headlines in the NYT are:
1. The continued carnage and slaughter in Ukraine, and the unmitigated evil of Vladimir Putin.
2. The bonkers beliefs of Ginni Thomas.
3. Covid, still.
4. The obnoxious joke Chris Rock made about a woman’s appearance, Will Smith’s obnoxious response, and a million hot takes about it all.

The NYT also had a piece about Wet Leg, and how two discouraged musicians started it as a lark. There was nothing cynical or calculated about it, and their songs are fun without insulting one’s intelligence.

I’m not sure if I need to investigate further or if it will have any appeal in, say, six months. But it’s hard to fault a band who started from a pure place and found success accidentally.

It’s The Fall for people who would rather be watching The Great British Baking Show, and I’m cool with that.

Enthusiastic NC, just saw them at SXSW and they put on a great show in the face of absymal sound (the drums and guitar were half digital hiss from something that was clearly peaking, and had been through the previous few bands, and the ad hoc team running the show obviously didn't know what to do, or seem to care).

Definitely more fun to listen to them if you take off your "sounds like X" hat.

The guy who sometimes plays sax with my band was playing this during breaks the other day at practice saying "you gotta check this out". Halfway through the first song I was checked out. Every note and beat nice and tidy on the grid with emotions as flat as a Burger King commercial. Does nothing for me. I like more slop and sluice.

Garth wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:31 am
DrAwkward wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:58 pm I haven't heard Dry Cleaning yet, but between them and Wet Leg, holy fuck is the band name well dry.
Dry Cleaning is great, but I think more different than others are hinting at. DC has a much darker feel & overall vibe & no singing in any of the tracks I've heard. Wet Leg kinda pulled me in with the hooks and of course the reference to FM Vincent Gallo's film on their song Wet Dream.
This line loops through my head when I'm getting coffee at places where I'm the least hip person in the room by about 25 years.